Owners, investors, and developers facing complex land use regulations are represented by Schwabe.
Schwabe is a leading land use law firm in the Northwest, committed to helping clients navigate the complex web of regulations and maximize the value and utility of their investments.
Developing creative solutions
Our land use development lawyers work cooperatively with local governments and state and federal agencies to find innovative solutions to a myriad of land use development permitting challenges. When speaking softly proves insufficient, we have the experience and skills to wield the “big stick” of litigation with precision and effectiveness.
Comprehensive land use solutions
We provide quality legal assistance to landowners, businesses, and developers for all types of land use matters throughout the Pacific Northwest, including:
- Single- and multi-family housing and subdivisions
- Destination resort development
- Office and commercial development
- Heavy industrial projects
- Electrical transmission and utility projects
- Renewable energy development
- Energy facility siting
- Natural resources, timber, and mining
- Ports and transportation
- Transportation and access management issues
- Farm and forest land development
Due diligence, project planning, and entitlement
With a wealth of experience, persistence, and strong working relationships with government officials and staff, Schwabe’s land use team helps clients achieve their objectives promptly and cost-effectively.
We pride ourselves on taking a comprehensive approach to obtaining land use entitlements and permits, including careful predevelopment planning, coordination with other permit programs and construction schedules, a solution-oriented approach to local governments, and vigorous appellate advocacy for our clients’ projects.
We are adept at handling land use permits and entitlements, such as subdivisions, conditional use permits, master plans, and more. In so doing, we work proactively and collaboratively with state and local government officials to provide our clients with a smooth process and a desirable outcome. This often includes careful negotiation of public improvement exactions and the use of development agreements to manage potential takings issues.
Finally, we pride ourselves in defending our results before the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals, the Washington State Growth Management Hearings Board, and the respective courts of appeals.
- Aided an industrial landowner in negotiation of substantial reduction in system development charges for sanitary sewer.
- Secured approvals for retail, office and multifamily projects that pioneered the development of downtown Bellevue.
- Represented large landowners in a comprehensive plan amendment, rezone and development agreement for large-scale projects in King and Pierce Counties.
- Advised large downtown landowners and lead project teams through the entitlement process for a full block of downtown Seattle developments.
- Successfully represented the developer in final master plan, golf course, golf clubhouse, overnight lodging, townhome, residential and commercial subdivision approvals for Tetherow Destination Resort. This included drafting and negotiating Infrastructure improvement agreements and bonding with the City of Bend and Deschutes County.
- Obtained comprehensive plan and zone change approvals for a former diatomaceous earth mine, from surface mine and EFU to rural residential (RR-10).
- Obtained a text amendment and land use approval for the Points West townhome community between Seventh Mountain Resort and Widgi Creek on the way to Mt. Bachelor.
- Successfully represented property owners in obtaining lot of record verifications and land division, dwelling and other development permits in forest and EFU zones in Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson counties.
- Obtained conditional use approval for Cascade Health Services, the administrative services affiliate of St. Charles Medical Center.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox