For over 100 years, construction clients have been represented by Schwabe.
Working intensely to meet unprecedented demand, construction in the Pacific Northwest faces pressure to build higher, closer—and at less cost. We help you build smart and prevent project disruptions. Our one-stop industry counsel helps clear obstacles and tame risks on the path to completion.
How we serve construction leaders
Construction in the Pacific Northwest is known for its energy, innovation—and steep price tags. We are counsel of choice for many of our region’s unique breed of contractors, subcontractors, property owners, and design professionals.
Schwabe’s industry team collaborates like a top-performing, right-sized crew to help keep projects on schedule and competitive. Whether you need a contract reviewed, a new employee handbook, counsel on organized labor relations, advice on safety issues, help resolving disputes, or support with business succession planning, a single call can connect you to the resources to get it done.
Mastering the complexities of project planning and administration
Our broad perspective can add value by preventing claims before a single crane arrives on site. We understand the impact that project delivery methods and project management have on successful outcomes and our team is well versed in drafting and negotiating construction industry agreements across the board.
Efficient dispute resolution
We don’t like claims or litigation any more than you do. But when necessary, our veteran trial lawyers act decisively and effectively in the claims environment. We handle construction dispute, including:
- Bid protests
- Breach of contract
- Contract termination
- Delay and impact
- Design professional liability
- Employment claims
- Mechanic’s liens
- Payment disputes
Committed to the construction industry
We immerse ourselves in the commercial realities and future of construction. You could even call us building geeks—we’re always excited to visit a site and see clients in action. This firsthand knowledge helps us connect players across the region and spark solutions.
Schwabe’s industry leadership provides platforms for promoting education and advocacy. We have served as general counsel to several leading organizations and are active participants in the industry.
Industry Group Manager503-796-2872 email
Construction Law Portland OR
Litigation, Construction Portland OR
What our clients say
“The understanding of the construction world dynamics is what differentiates Schwabe from other firms I work with.”
- Litigated a construction dispute over failed concrete, mitigated loss and limited liability.
- Contributed as part of a multi-million-dollar construction dispute to obtain a favorable arbitration award that declared a termination for cause was wrongful and awarded damages for breach of contract and implied warranties.
- Obtained a unanimous jury verdict on a six-figure bond claim relating to work performed on a public works construction project on behalf of a specialty subcontractor.
- Prosecuted and resolved delay and impact claims for commercial general contractor against school district and successfully defended claims by subcontractors.
- Resolved a water-penetration construction-defect claim through settlement.
- Defended and resolved claims involving one of the largest construction defect projects in Oregon and more than 20 represented parties.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against a nationwide manufacturer of EIFS systems on a statute of limitations defense. The plaintiff dismissed the case on appeal.
- Negotiated recovery of repair and replacement costs for our client, a national social service charity, from the general contractor, flooring manufacturer, and flooring installation contractor after the failure of an engineered sports court floor in a regional recreational facility in Idaho.
Big River Construction Wins Compensation Battle
When Big River Construction Inc. needed help pursuing payment for the successful completion of a complex wastewater treatment project, Schwabe had their backs the whole way.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox