Companies that are proactive about protecting consumer data are represented by Schwabe.
As privacy and information security emerge as central compliance concerns for businesses worldwide, Schwabe helps clients take strong proactive and responsive measures.
Our team, which includes two lawyers who hold a CIPP certification* (Certified Information Privacy Professional/US), helps employers and businesses meet their regulatory and common law privacy obligations regarding consumer, employee and patient information they collect, process, disclose or store. We understand the unique needs and obligations of businesses in different industries, and develop workable data privacy and security programs as well as specific agreements for confidentiality, nondisclosure, data-hosting and similar issues.
Navigating healthcare compliance regulations
Businesses and individuals that collect, process, disclose and maintain protected health information are subject to some of the nation’s strictest privacy and security rules. With a national reputation in HIPAA privacy and security compliance, Schwabe helps clients in the healthcare industry successfully comply with this complex regulatory scheme.
Data protection in the workplace
Schwabe advises employers on how to meet their privacy obligations regarding employee medical and personal identifying information. In addition, we are at the cutting edge of helping employers address the growing impact of social networking sites on workplace privacy and security.
Cybersecurity breaches—not “if” but “when”
The likelihood of a cybersecurity breach is a fact of life for most businesses today. As legal counsel and breach coaches, we help businesses minimize damage and move forward quickly following a data breach.
* RPC 7.4(d): The Supreme Court of Washington does not recognize certification of specialties in the practice of law and that the certificate, award, or recognition is not a requirement to practice law in the state of Washington.
- Advised companies regarding notification obligations in data security breaches.
- Advised clients on privacy, confidentiality, and data security terms in vendor contracts.
- Settled disputes involving handling of consumer data.
- Analyzed insurance policies for privacy/cyber liability coverage.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox