Companies looking to establish the right type of entity and properly govern their activities are represented by Schwabe.
We help for-profit businesses and nonprofit entities create a solid foundation long before they open their doors and as they continue to build on that foundation.
Extensive corporate formation experience
We regularly advise investors, strategic partners, family-owned businesses, closely held corporations, emerging and middle-market companies, multinational corporations and nonprofit corporations (public or mutual benefit) in all areas of entity formation. We help clients identify and establish the most effective business structures for their unique objectives and markets, assist in obtaining appropriate financing for these entities, and negotiate a broad range of shareholder, vendor, employment, tax exemption determinations and other agreements and contracts that enable companies to establish a solid footing from the outset.
Clearheaded fiduciary and governance guidance
Nearly a decade after the most recent global economic crises, organized shareholder activists, legislators and government regulators continue to scrutinize the fiduciary performance of corporate directors, boards of directors, committees and executive officers. Our experienced lawyers help public and private companies and nonprofit organizations establish strong governance policies and best practices that withstand such close examination. We advise clients on the full range of legal matters, including:
- Corporate governance structuring
- Representation of independent committees
- Legal issues in board decision-making
- Board member and officer issues
- Shareholder/Member relations
- Crisis management
- Gaining and maintaining tax-exempt status for nonprofits
- Advised the board of directors of a large nonprofit healthcare system regarding development and implementation of a corporate governance model designed to further its strategic objectives.
- Advised the board and management of a global manufacturing company and of a regional construction company with multiple subsidiaries on corporate governance, board meetings, and shareholder relations.
- Advised a local brewery in formation, corporate structuring, and governance matters.
- Assisted charitable organizations in obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status.
- Implemented changes to the capital structure of a large regional construction company to facilitate distribution of wealth to family member shareholders.
- Advised a regional mental health provider on ownership structure and buy-sell agreements.
- Advised the boards of directors on developing and implementing governance models designed to align with and promote the corporation’s strategic plans and objectives.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox