Cutting-edge technology innovators are represented by Schwabe.
For decades, Schwabe has been a key contributor to the region’s growing technology sector.
We empower makers and visionaries
We understand that innovative companies need innovative counsel, and fast-growing companies need a team that can support them during development—from emerging startups to established global companies. Our clients run the gamut, from software, fintech, and e-commerce, to hardware, biotech, and medical devices.
Focused on innovation
Our tech industry team is structured to handle legal needs that may arise throughout your business life cycle, so you can focus on inventing and commercializing world-changing technology. We can help guide you through the following:
- Business formation and financing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property protection, transactions, and enforcement
- Licensing and distribution
- Privacy and data security
- Employment and immigration
- Real estate
In-house perspective and industry leadership
We bring practical experience to client relationships. Before joining Schwabe, lawyers in our group worked at new-economy and technology companies as engineers, program managers, researchers, teachers, technology consultants, and in-house counsel. Many serve on boards and committees of technology industry organizations, making connections that provide high value to our clients.
2,059 U.S. & foreign patents
obtained in 2022
8,000 U.S. & foreign patents
4 lawyers ranked
Chambers, Band 1, Oregon, 2022
What our clients say
“As General Counsel of a rapidly growing technology company headquartered near Portland, I have come to count on Schwabe as a ‘go-to’ firm for my company’s outside counsel needs. The firm is deep in all areas that one would expect from a full‐service law firm.”
“Schwabe lawyers take a flexible, collaborative approach to our work. They balance creativity with practicality, and really understand our priorities and goals.”
Your partner — with you
every step of the way.
Our tech industry team is structured to
handle the numerous legal needs that arise
throughout your company’s life cycle.
- Represent a Fortune 100 semiconductor company on thousands of patent-related matters. Technologies include microprocessor, computer/system architecture, memory, system software, virtualization, security, streaming, encoding/decoding, networking and IoT.
- Counsel leading-edge software development and technology staffing companies across the Pacific Northwest on immigration issues.
Experienced in blockchain and distributed ledger technologies including cryptocurrency and tokenization-related technologies.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications relating to fintech for large electronic payment organization.
- Represent technology companies in trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty and duty of loyalty cases when employees leave with confidential information or take corporate opportunities to new businesses.
- Represented a Silicon Valley start-up on patent-related matters relating to field programmable gate arrays and hard and soft IP cores.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications relating to mobile wireless device communications standards.
- Prepare and prosecute patent and trademark applications for a software startup related to an AI/machine learning-based workflow for automated interpretation of echocardiograms and heart disease prediction.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox