Companies that need guidance through sticky tax situations are represented by Schwabe.
With many years of experience resolving sophisticated tax issues, Schwabe helps clients work through controversies and litigation with federal and state tax agencies.
A strong advocate for our clients
We bring both legal and procedural knowledge to representing clients in civil and criminal litigation before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state Departments of Revenue, as well as litigation in state and federal courts. We handle a wide variety of matters, including:
- Audit and appeal conferences before IRS and state taxing agencies,
- Property tax appeals to the Oregon Department of Revenue and Oregon Tax Court,
- Tax refund claims and tax refund litigation,
- Collection actions by IRS and state taxing agencies,
- Appeals of tax issues before federal and state appellate courts,
- Collection due process appeals,
- Trust fund recovery penalty actions,
- Jeopardy and termination assessments,
- Voluntary disclosures,
- Defense of federal criminal tax cases (including white-collar criminal cases),
- Defense of civil and criminal forfeiture actions,
- Third-party litigation involving wrongful levies, transferee liabilities, nominee liens, and levies.
Working with accountants to advocate for their clients
Accountants in the Pacific Northwest often call on us to provide legal counsel to their valued clients. Working together, we develop effective plans for dealing with the IRS Criminal Investigation Division and other federal and state law-enforcement agencies.
What our clients say
“Schwabe is set apart by its commitment to personal service, detailed execution, and expert knowledge. Our clients get world-class advice and professional planning at a local level. Schwabe’s partnership is critical to our team approach to financial planning.”