Those planning for the future and protecting the next generation are represented by Schwabe.
Schwabe helps clients protect assets, retain privacy, and provide for the future of loved ones.
Advance planning is key
We routinely assist clients in Oregon and Washington to set up wills, revocable living trusts, powers of attorney, advance directives, healthcare directives, and healthcare powers of attorney. These documents have a very real impact on our clients’ lives—helping them plan for incapacity, nominate guardians for minor children, avoid probate delays, and ensure that property is properly distributed at death.
We also assist with trust funding and beneficiary designations on retirement plans and life insurance policies.
Preparing for the next generation
Our goal is to achieve our clients’ tax, business, and charitable goals by minimizing estate or gift taxes, transitioning a business to the next generation of owners, evaluating and implementing charitable giving strategies, and protecting intended beneficiaries.
We form, administer, and advise clients with taxable and nontaxable estates on:
- Grantor trusts, including GRATs, GRITs, and GRUTs,
- Intentionally defective grantor trusts (IDGTs),
- Irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs),
- Education trusts,
- Personal residence trusts (QPRTs),
- Nonprofit corporations,
- Private foundations,
- Charitable remainder trusts, including CRTs, CRATs, and CRUTs,
- Charitable lead trusts, including CRTs, CLUTs, and CLATs,
- Qualified domestic trusts (QDOTs).
We help transition family businesses to the next generation of owners by evaluating and implementing business succession strategies involving minority discounts, fractional interest discounts, estate freezes, family limited liability companies, and family limited liability partnerships and trusts qualified to own stock in subchapter S corporations.
What our clients say
“I have had the pleasure of working with Schwabe on several projects. These are usually highly complex matters that require only the highest caliber of attorney to understand the issues and work with an eye constantly on achieving the desired outcome. The Schwabe team asks the right questions. The attorneys have the knowledge and experience to handle these matters. The team at Schwabe is expert and as good as anyone we’ve worked with in complex title matters.”
- Helped charitable clients form and administer a $20 million charitable remainder trust and a $20 million charitable lead trust.
- Crafted and implemented an estate plan for a farm owner that ensured continuity of farming operations and minimized the imposition of estate tax.
- Reduced the proposed tax deficiency by over $400,000 in an estate tax audit.
- Created an estate plan for a business owner that provides for the continuing operation of a $70 million business and defers estate taxes under U.S. Code Section 6166.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox