Game-changing business ideas and innovations are represented by Schwabe.
Schwabe helps clients create, build, and protect the value of intellectual property. Paired with deep industry experience, Schwabe offers a full arsenal of proactive and defensive strategies and tactics for prized intellectual assets. Ours is a track record of client relationships that outperform expectations for service and deliver results in ways not imagined possible.
Fortune favors the bold.
Whether yours is a tangible product or a breakthrough advancement, our role is to help you harness the market power of your ideas and realize the financial potential of your IP. We are one of the largest intellectual property practices in the Pacific Northwest region. We work with innovative clients around the corner and around the world. Many of us have advanced scientific degrees, hold patents of our own, and have worked in-house as IP leaders for years before coming to Schwabe. We pair legal insights and legal ingenuity with business sensibility.
Industry depth delivers a competitive edge.
Our strong industry focus—including depth in our region’s innovation-rich technology, health, life sciences, and natural resource sectors—works to our clients’ advantage in board rooms to courtrooms and from labs to life-changing advances. Schwabe’s industry immersion provides an understanding of your competitive landscape and insights into critical factors that make an innovation unique. Understanding is the first step to creating and protecting intellectual property value and the competitive edge you seek to gain.
Leading IP law firm
Oregon, 7 Years Running
Oregon 2022, 4 Lawyers Ranked
Top 10 FOR NORTH AMERICA – WEST
The Americas + The Middle East & Africa, 2022
What our clients say
”Schwabe has excellent patent attorneys, with outstanding technical depth and great business acumen, which helps us make smart business decisions. Their work for us has always been high quality and their team has consistently been available for time-sensitive issues. I strongly recommend the entire Schwabe team for sophisticated IP work.”
“The team gives excellent, sensible, practical advice and “their understanding of the international landscape for IP.”
“The firm has been a great partner for us. I appreciate their responsiveness, communication, quality of work and efficiency. I’m confident they understand our business priorities and tailor their advice accordingly.”
“The team is very efficient and professional. They can help us fix our issues with less time and expense.”
“When there is a challenge coming up, it may seem like it’s only IP-related, but there is a business element to it too.
They do a good job at getting the right people to advise us on all elements of the matters.”
“The firm is extremely responsive and aligned with client goals and practical needs.
It is a very thorough and knowledgeable team.”
2,059 U.S. & foreign patents
obtained in 2022
8,000+ U.S. & foreign patent applications
pending in 2022
- Represent Oregon Health & Science University in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications directed to medical devices, diagnostics, therapeutics, drug delivery, and imaging.
- Worked with an auto accessory company to pursue infringers of the utility and design patents covering a hand-held pulling tool in China, Germany, Australia and the United States as well as through actions regarding infringements occurring on the Internet.
- Handle domestic and international trademark clearance, enforcement, and portfolio management for a knife Company. Provide counsel on anti-counterfeiting, product endorsement and sponsorship agreements, and domestic and international distribution agreements.
- Represent a sportswear company in litigation against an outdoor accessory company for infringement of two utility patents and one design patent covering its innovative signature technologies for its outerwear products.
- Guided RevMedx to obtain its first patent on X-Stat (a device that can instantly plug up bullet wounds to prevent victims from bleeding out before medical help arrives), named an Invention of the Year by Popular Science. The work continues toward global protection for numerous products to be launched by RevMedx.
- Represents precision automation equipment designer and manufacturer DWFritz in managing intellectual property policies/procedures, guiding strategic decisions, and securing proper patent and trademark protection.
- Provide strategic counsel for DWFritz Automation on patent and trademark preparation/prosecution, commercial contracts, and strategic guidance. We have been assisting in internally developing and nurturing a startup venture with the intent to create a new spin-out entity.
- Managed a years-long enforcement campaign protecting a market leader’s brand against frequent third-party infringement.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox