Financial institutions are represented by Schwabe.
Schwabe’s dedicated Financial Institutions group works closely with clients to address legal and industry trends affecting the industry.
Schwabe provides comprehensive legal services to national banks, community banks, credit unions, branches of foreign banks, insurance companies, mortgage companies, commercial finance companies and equipment lessors. We help our clients expand business, comply with regulations and resolve disputes quickly and cost-effectively. Working with lawyers from all areas of the firm, we provide seamless, integrated legal services and strategies that leverage our knowledge of your industry and your business.
We counsel financial institutions on a wide range of matters, including:
- Banking regulation
- Broker/dealer litigation
- Capital markets
- Class actions and commercial litigation
- Commercial bankruptcy and workouts
- Corporate governance
- Data protection and privacy
- Employment advice and litigation
- Executive compensation and employee benefit plans
- Intellectual property
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate transactional work, including purchase and sale of bank facilities and environmental risk assessment
- Tax issues
What our clients say
“Schwabe is set apart by its commitment to personal service, detailed execution, and expert knowledge. Our clients get world-class advice and professional planning at a local level. Schwabe’s partnership is critical to our team approach to financial planning.”
“Schwabe is our ‘go-to’ Washington firm on the more complex and challenging litigation. They are superb at staffing all of the Bank’s matters, with appropriate use of associates and paralegals, producing a high-value product at a most reasonable price. I appreciate their practical and grounded advice.”
- Counseled a bank on IP protection for cutting-edge virtual banking technology.
- Helped a software company obtain patents on financial products.
- Advised a financial institution on a significant and complex downsizing resulting from a merger.
- Represented Oregon’s largest community bank in complex Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases, seeking to recover a large deficiency balance.
- Obtained summary judgment on Consumer Protection Act and wrongful foreclosure claims on behalf of bank, affirmed in published appellate opinion.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against bank based on federal preemption, upheld by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented broker-dealer client in a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration on claims related to variable life insurance policy.
- Obtained a defense award in FINRA arbitration on significant “selling away” claims against firm.
- Represented a large national lender in a large, complex loan workout with the borrower and numerous guarantors.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox