Manufacturers from across the country facing product liability claims in the Pacific Northwest are represented by Schwabe.
Schwabe’s lawyers apply their experience and problem-solving skills to help protect against one of a manufacturer’s biggest risks: allegations of an unsafe product.
Looking out for your interests
Schwabe defends manufacturers, sellers, and distributors against claims of product-related personal injury and property loss, and economic loss throughout the Pacific Northwest. Many of our lawyers possess a thorough understanding of this rapidly expanding area of law, and have decades of experience helping clients prevent and protect against product-related claims.
Practical advice to minimize exposure
Many clients seek our counsel during initial product development to ensure that safety features are designed in compliance with the law (including proper warnings and instructions). These services are particularly valuable to emerging companies that might be unfamiliar with the complexities of product liability laws.
After representing clients in numerous product-related claims, we understand that different cases call for different strategies. Our lawyers have assisted with product recalls, pre-claim investigations, defense of claims in courts and arbitration, settlement negotiations, and appeals. We have extensive experience defending companies in matters of all sizes and levels of complexity, from a minor individual injury to catastrophic injury and death claims. We frequently defend class action lawsuits and serve as members of national litigation teams.
Our lawyers defend manufacturers, sellers, and distributors in product liability issues involving:
- Asbestos and other toxic claims,
- Automobiles and motorcycles,
- Consumer products (household appliances, yard equipment, power tools, etc.),
- Construction equipment, including pneumatic equipment,
- Electrical equipment,
- Fire and explosives,
- Food and beverages,
- Heavy-duty trucks, forklifts, and lift trucks,
- Industrial machinery,
- Marine engines and personal watercraft,
- Pharmaceutical and medical devices products, and
Access to top experts
Schwabe has handled a significant number of pharmaceutical and medical device, forklift, fire, asbestos and marine cases, and has worked with nationally and internationally renowned experts in these areas. Our trial lawyers are skilled at working with these experts to develop and present clear, compelling theories on behalf of our clients.
- Defended against pharmaceutical and medical device claims for many years, representing manufacturers in individual cases, mass tort litigation, and class action lawsuits.
- Represented manufacturers of numerous products against asbestos claims for design defect and failure to warn, including claims where manufacturers only included asbestos component parts in their products.
- Obtained early dismissal of an action against a national food product manufacturer where plaintiff claimed food product was contaminated by a rodent, preventing potential negative media attention.
- Defended a major transportation company in the trial of a personal injury case in which the plaintiff’s lowest pretrial demand was $10 million. The jury awarded only $7,857 in total damages.
- Successfully defended and settled catastrophic injury cases for heavy equipment manufacturers and retailers, saving costs of defense and protecting against potentially large verdicts.
- Represented numerous orthopedic implant manufacturers in collaborative defense to product liability litigation.
- Successfully defended a leading Western retailer in product liability cases involving nutritional supplements and consumer goods litigation, and succeeded in persuading the manufacturer to resolve cases.
- Defended a global pharmaceutical manufacturer against product defect claims based upon novel “innovator liability” theory; selected to serve on trial team.
- Represented manufacturers and lessors of heavy equipment and trucks in product liability, catastrophic injury and wrongful death, and asbestos claims.
- Guided national manufacturer through a product recall and subsequently litigated and obtained substantial damages recovery for client from supplier.
- Advised numerous manufacturers and food and beverage companies on product recalls and labeling issues, including compliance with FDA and FTC regulations as well as California’s Proposition 65.
- Obtained dismissal of a $25 million personal injury and product liability lawsuit against a small, family owned business.
- Received defense verdict in an arbitration hearing against an automobile manufacturer by finding evidence that the vehicle owner failed to perform recommended recall.
- Represented a manufacturer of farming equipment in a lawsuit against a competitor for false advertising and defamation, resulting in amicable settlement.
- Won early dismissal of action against an equipment manufacturer where plaintiff tried to avoid the shorter statute of limitations in Idaho by filing action in Washington, avoiding the litigation costs associated with discovery and trial.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a product liability case involving an anti-cholesterol drug where the plaintiff sought millions of dollars in actual and punitive damages. The case settled for a very favorable amount one week before trial.