Lawyers should first and foremost be listeners to their clients’ concerns, and then use their experience to formulate cost-efficient strategies to achieve each client’s unique objective.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
As an experienced trial lawyer, I am pleased to have earned a reputation for excellence in helping clients resolve real estate and natural resources disputes. I understand the nuances of complex litigation, finance, real estate, and resources in the Pacific Northwest.
Along with my talented Schwabe colleagues, I represent clients in state and federal courts as well as arbitration. I’ve tried numerous cases to verdict and often represent clients seeking emergency and accelerated relief.
Comprehensive industry experience
The clients I represent include national and local financial institutions, manufacturers, distributors, and other entities involved in matters relating to real property. I often represent individuals in closely held companies seeking to protect and enforce their rights.
While handling a wide range of disputes involving leases, landlord/ tenant relationships, boundaries, financing, lender liability, trust litigation, Fair Credit Reporting Act foreclosure actions, and Articles 3 and 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code, I also assist banks and other creditors with debt collection and loan workouts. In addition, I represent timber companies and manufacturers of wood products and other natural resources in disputes relating to easements, buy/sell agreements, sales of goods, and warranties.
Practical and accessible
I firmly believe in accessibility and am on-call for clients around the clock. I pride myself on providing candid, practical advice. I constantly strive to be known as a smart, aggressive litigator who understands that in all business disputes, the goal is to resolve the problem, not necessarily to go to battle.
“We have used Schwabe for about ten years, first in a bond refinancing, and then in other matters. I’ve always found Schwabe attorneys to be knowledgeable and very helpful in solving my problems. Kudos especially to Garrett Stephenson and Joel Parker. They were both extremely helpful to me.”
-Parkview Christian Retirement Center
- Obtained summary judgment for a TIMO and dismissal with prejudice in claim by the plaintiff relating to option to purchase certain real property in timberlands in Snoqualmie forest.
- Obtained a restraining order and injunction for a commercial tenant improperly locked out of its space by landlord, which threatened the client’s business operations and reputation. Negotiated significant monetary settlement that allowed client to maintain and enhance its reputation and business.
- Successfully defended the YMCA in a $950,000 lawsuit relating to the sale of its facility and assignment of lease. Obtained dismissal with prejudice for the client without any compensation being paid to plaintiff. Portland Sports Club LLC v. the Young Men’s Christian Association of Columbia-Willamette.
- Won arbitration award for minority member of limited liability company against other member in dispute between relating to the management of a restaurant, breach of lease, violations of the parties operating agreement, and dissolution.
- Successfully defended the client in multiple multi-party lawsuits relating to membership dispute in various limited liability corporations, fraud, real property ownership, and performance under lease. Achieved beneficial settlement allowing the client to retain commercial property and satisfy all personal obligations in separation with adverse parties.
- Successfully defended party to contract relating to services intended to bring certain real property into urban growth boundary. Obtained a monetary settlement requiring the plaintiff to pay client and dismiss case with prejudice. Westfair Associates v. Arthur Piculell.
- Obtained a restraining order and injunction for the client enforcing sale agreement for residential property worth over $2 million. Ultimately achieved settlement that compensated the client for attorney fees and expenses.
- University of Oregon School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, order of the coif (1999)
- Indiana University, Bachelor of Arts degree (1995)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member Judicial Screening Committee (2012-2014); Chair (2014)
- Oregon State Bar – Litigation Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar New Lawyer Mentor Program, Mentor (2013-2016)
- Multnomah Athletic Club, House Committee (2005-2008); Chair (2008)
- Make-a-Wish Foundation of Oregon and Southwest Washington, Chairman (2016)
- Make-a-Wish Foundation of Oregon and Southwest Washington, Board Member (2011-2016)
- National Kidney Foundation of Oregon/Washington, Board Member and Secretary (2002-2007)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Commercial Litigation (2016-2022)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2016-2021)
- Ranked “Notable Practitioner” for General/Commercial Litigation Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2018-2019)
Spending time with his four young boys, being humbled by the golf course, and rooting for his Ducks and Hoosiers.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox