Strategic property acquisitions and development projects are represented by Schwabe.
Our clients can save time, money, and trouble in the long run by forming a solid project foundation on the front end of development.
Our team develops feasibility analysis reports and conducts pre-acquisition due diligence to assess potential development sites for obstacles, helping clients avoid surprises down the road that may cause delays or impact their return on investment.
Our land use team has vast experience with land surveys, building permits, zoning laws, environmental impact reports, traffic and road data, and more that all help inform a project’s physical, financial, legal, and economic feasibility.
Well-versed in real estate and environmental law
Schwabe’s land use lawyers ensure clients understand the proposed property purchase or site development so clients can make educated decisions to minimize risk and achieve the desired outcome on a given project. This strategic and proactive approach also allows our clients to prepare for potential challenges and land use disputes throughout the development process.
Schwabe’s land use team is here to lead clients through the legal aspects of the initial development process, including:
- Land use due diligence and other predevelopment questions
- Assessment of regulatory compliance as part of property investment or acquisition
- Advised large downtown landowners and lead project teams through the entitlement process for a full block of downtown Seattle developments.
- Obtained a text amendment and land use approval for the Points West townhome community between Seventh Mountain Resort and Widgi Creek on the way to Mt. Bachelor.
- Represented a client building a 450-acre light-industrial/office/retail center including land acquisition and negotiating and documenting a significant development agreement of percentage uses, vesting, and transportation capacity.
- Provided, and continues to provide, regulatory due diligence and advising for PacifiCorp and Weyerhaeuser Company.
- Provided land use and energy law due diligence for wind and solar farm transactions.
- Developed legal research support letter to counter City of Wilsonville’s overreaching development conditions regarding grounding power line installation.
- Provided analysis and zoning due diligence memorandum to evaluate multiple potential emergency veterinary clinics.
- Provided advice related to potential large multi-family projects (300+ units) in Redmond, Issaquah, Woodinville and Totem Lake. Analyzed specific subject properties and zoning requirements to assist in financial analysis related to project feasibility.
- Provided code interpretation and analysis related to planned multiple-tower mixed use project in Bellevue, Washington.
- Analyzed local code and coordinated with local government for novel retreat/lodge use.
- Provided due diligence, negotiated and documented a real estate transaction for the purchase of developing an employment-based mixed use project on 177 acres including project due diligence and feasibility and obtaining a Comprehensive Plan Amendment, zone change, Development Agreement, and masterplan approval.
- Reviewed and supervised land use and zoning review dozens of properties in seven jurisdictions in Washington and Oregon, to identify the most advantageous utility line route, most likely jurisdiction for SEPA review, and best potential lots for transmission substation.
- Analyzed land use restrictions and requirements for multiple properties in city and county jurisdictions in Southwest Washington to support expansion of agricultural products retail, office, and distribution locations; findings facilitated real estate purchase decisions and negotiations.
- Performed regulatory and land use due diligence analysis and planning for construction of a major electrical transmission line between Oregon and Washington.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox