Legal analysis means little if one cannot communicate in a way that helps clients make informed business decisions.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
As a fifth-generation Oregon attorney, I strive to be invested in my clients and their role in the community. I take the time not only to learn about my clients but also to make sure I clearly communicate my analysis in a way that helps them make decisions and achieve objectives. I counsel a diverse client base with a particular focus on multi-generational, family-owned, and construction businesses. I use my extensive experience advising these types of businesses on corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, finance, and succession plans and help resolve issues before they become problems.
Clients often call on me for assistance in obtaining growth capital due to my deep understanding of how private equity investments are structured in corporations and limited liability companies. That assistance helps clients secure capital from private equity firms, venture capital firms, strategic investors, and private investors.
I’m going on my 23rd year as a Schwabe lawyer. During that time, I served as Department Chair for the Business department for five years, and I was on the Board of Directors from 2014-2021.
“Tom Tongue is an incredible attorney and we highly value his wisdom and experience. When we need a specialist, he always seems to recommend the right person for the job. There’s a reason that we always come back to Schwabe, and we’re grateful to have Tom, and his team, in our corner.”
– Stephen Jett, Precoa
- Serves as general corporate counsel for Leupold & Stevens, a fifth-generation family-owned business that is the leader in hunting and recreational optics.
- Has advised other leading closely held and family-held businesses, including Parr Lumber Company, Henningsen Cold Storage, A-dec, Benchmade Knives and Pacific Interpreters.
- Represented Oregon Iron Works, a leading specialty manufacturing firm with commercial, marine, nuclear, aerospace, hydroelectric, defense and transportation manufacturing divisions, in its merger with Vigor Industrial. The Portland Business Journal described this transaction as the largest merger of two Oregon businesses in the past decade.
- Raised private equity capital for Red Rock Biofuels, leading the legal team that helped Red Rock Biofuels secure a private equity investment from Flagship Capital.
- University of Oregon School of Law, Juris Doctor degree
- University of Oregon, Master of Business Administration degree, with honors
- Vanderbilt University, Bachelor of Arts degree, Economics
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- Ranked for Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2015-2023)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Business & Corporate (2013-2019)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, “Rising Stars” list (2008-2012)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Insurance Regulatory Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Corporate Law (2013-2021)
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Regulatory Law “Lawyer of the Year” award in Oregon (2013, 2018)
- Portland Business Journal, “Forty Under 40” Emerging Business Leaders award (2010)
- California Casualty Insurance Company, Director
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section Executive Committee, Member
- Greater Oregon Chapter of the March of Dimes, Past Chair and Board Member
- Portland Business Alliance’s Leadership Portland, Graduate
- University of Oregon School of Law, Adjunct Professor, helped the school develop its mergers and acquisitions practical skills curriculum
- Oregon State Bar House of Delegates, elected and served two three-years terms
- Cub Scouts, Den Leader Volunteer
Spending time with my wife and sons, fly-fishing, skiing, golfing, camping, hunting and honing my barbeque skills in pursuit of the perfect brisket.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox