How I represent clients at Schwabe
I defend my clients’ most valuable asset: the reputation of their products and services. I bring 27 years of complex litigation experience representing national and regional healthcare providers and some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical, medical device, and biologic manufacturers and distributors.
My clients also include those facing product liability attacks related to supplements, food, cosmetics, automobiles, heavy-duty trucks, industrial equipment, forest products, construction and agricultural equipment, recreational vehicles, and consumer products.
Applying the knowledge and experience gained in defending hundreds of products in litigation, I advise clients on product warnings, labeling, instructions, recalls, compliance, risk assessments, crisis communications, and navigating governmental investigations. In addition to my work in Oregon and Washington, I have been retained as regional counsel to represent clients in Alaska, Idaho, California, and Nevada and have served on multiple national trial teams. I regularly defend clients in MDLs, class actions, wrongful death, catastrophic injury, punitive damage, and constitutional claims.
In 2020, I was elected Executive Committee of DRI (formerly known as the Defense Research Institute), the largest international organization of defense trial lawyers and corporate counsel. I have served as the DRI Secretary-Treasurer from 2020-2021, National Director on the Board of DRI from 2017-2020, and will become DRI President in 2024. Additionally, I have served on the DRI Drug and Medical Device Steering Committee for over 20 years and was the DRI Product Liability Committee Chair from 2015 to 2017. I am also a past Chair of the Oregon State Bar Product Liability Section and a former Board member of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC).
I am recognized as a Super Lawyer for product liability defense. I also serve as the Industry Group Leader for Schwabe’s Healthcare and Life Sciences industry group.
- Served as lead regional counsel coordinating multi-state team that defended global pharmaceutical manufacturer in mass tort litigation involving over 7000 claims nationwide. Collaborated with national team to aggressively defend cases resulting in dismissal of vast majority of claims.
- Obtained summary judgment prior to protracted discovery as lead trial counsel for international specialty biologic manufacturer in case of first impression.
- Defense verdict for heavy-duty truck manufacturer in wrongful death case involving claims of crashworthiness.
- Defended automotive manufacturer’s restraint system, obtaining directed verdict after close of plaintiff’s case.
- University of Oregon, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (1996)
- University of California, San Diego, Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science (1991)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- DRI | Lawyers Representing Business: President-Elect (2023); 1st Vice President (2022-present); Secretary-Treasurer (2020-2021); National Director, Board of Directors (2017-2020); Product Liability Committee, Committee Chair (2015-2017); Drug and Medical Device Committee, Steering Committee Member (2001-present), Publications Chair (2009-2015); Board Liaison, Data Privacy Committee (2017-2020); DRI Annual Meeting Chair (2011)
- Oregon Bioscience Association (OBA), Board Member
- American Health Law Association (AHLA), Board Member
- Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC), Board Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member (2009-present)
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC), Member (2005-present); Board of Directors (2015-2018); Co-Chair, Annual Convention (2018)
- Oregon State Bar, Product Liability Section, Chair (2003); Executive Committee Member (1998-2004); Disciplinary Board Member (2015-2019)
- Multnomah Bar Association, Judicial Screening Committee Chair (2011-2012), Committee Member (2009-2012); Court Liaison Committee Chair (2008-2009), Committee Member (2006-2009)
- DRI, Richard H. Krochock Award (for Exemplary mentorship to the DRI Young Lawyers Committee) (2011)
- Selected to the Oregon Super Lawyers List, Product Liability (2009-2021)
- Selected to the Oregon Super Lawyers Rising Star List (2008)
“Making Voir Dire More Effective With a Jury Questionnaire” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Sunriver, OR (2012)
“Hot Topics in Drug and Medical Device Law,” DRI Drug and Medical Device Seminar, Chicago, IL (2011)
Running half marathons, coaching distance runners on the West Sylvan Middle School and Lincoln High School track teams, and co-captaining Schwabe’s Hood to Coast team for six years.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox