Micah D. Stolowitz
Micah Stolowitz helps healthcare and technology innovators protect and monetize intellectual property. Working with businesses ranging from start-ups to public companies, he prosecutes U.S. utility and design patents, and counsels clients seeking foreign patents and design registrations. In addition, Micah represents clients in IP transfers, licensing agreements and other transactions.
Micah has a particular focus on medical devices, and has drafted patents for defibrillators, medical imaging devices and medical data communications. A widely respected practitioner, Micah serves as adjunct professor of Patent Law at Lewis and Clark College, and has been appointed “Special Master” to assist federal courts in patent litigation.
Engineering spoken here
Micah has worked as an electrical engineer in Silicon Valley, and holds a B.S. degree in electrical engineering and computer science. His industry experience helps him see IP challenges from a client's perspective and align his legal services with client goals. He is committed to staying on the cutting edge of technological advances, and counts himself fortunate to work with many great teachers—Schwabe’s clients.
- Worked with a small company in the software “recommender” space to develop a patent portfolio, and then represented the company in selling the portfolio at a seven-figure valuation.
- Represents a company that develops and licenses the software used by USPS to read addresses and route millions of mail pieces per day.
- Helped a small company in HVAC (heating ventilation air conditioning) automated controls technology develop a patent portfolio, and then represented the company in selling its portfolio at a seven-figure valuation.
- Provides ongoing patent prosecution counsel for several Fortune 500 companies.
- November 14, 2016
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon Patent Law Association, Member
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2006-2016
Resources & Ideas
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Panelist: " First Inventor to File ," Oregon State Bar CLE "Privacy, Piracy, and Patents: Computer Law" (2012)
- August 12, 2016
- March 9, 2017
- March 6, 2017
- February 9, 2016
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark CollegeJuris Doctor degree (1981)
- University of California, BerkeleyBachelor of Science degree, Electrical Engineering
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Outside The Office
- Road biking, travel, woodworking, sailing.