TJ Crane helps private and non-profit technology and manufacturing companies make sound decisions on the governance, structure and commercial issues that drive their current and future revenue. His clients operate in heavily regulated sectors, including satellites, telecommunications and new media, government and defense, and technology. Drawing on experience as both a government procurement officer and in-house counsel for a Fortune 50 technology company, TJ provides seasoned and thoughtful guidance.
TJ drafts and negotiates a vast array of commercial contracts and agreements related to outsourcing, licensing, purchase and service, manufacturing and distribution, joint development, and prime-subcontractor agreements for federal/state government contractors. His work includes public and private mergers and acquisitions, spin-offs, divestitures, investments and auctions, with transaction values ranging from $100,000 to $20 billion. He guides clients through sophisticated technology transactions and has experience in commercial and defense satellite procurement. TJ also provides general corporate governance advice to clients regarding ownership rights and responsibilities, director/officer responsibilities, and strategic planning.
Prior to joining Schwabe, TJ was Senior Counsel at Hewlett-Packard in Virginia, where he drafted and negotiated commercial contracts and transactional documents, including global outsourcing, professional services, licensing, software development and go-to-market agreements. TJ served for 10 years in the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the U.S. Air Force.
- Represented clients in negotiating satellite manufacturing contracts, launch services agreements and insurance placement for billion-dollar satellite and communications systems.
- Provided advice and coordinated corporate actions and employment law matters with subsidiaries in Asia, South America, Europe and the United States in a complex asset sale, dissolution and liquidation.
- Negotiated a $500 million global outsourcing transaction of network operations, telephone operations and call center services.
Memberships & Awards
- Trout Unlimited, Member
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Oregon Bar Association, Member
- Meritorious Civilian Service award (2010)
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- One Union Square; 600 University Street Seattle, WA 98104, February 15, 2017
- Cybersecurity: Managing Risk in the Aerospace and Defense IndustryMay 18, 2016
- Portland, Oregon, May 17, 2016
"Satellite Systems Procurement: A Brief ‘How-To' Guide," Global Media and Communications Quarterly, Autumn 2012 (Kaufman, Segal, Crane).
- Returning Veterans Project, Board of Directors
- George Washington UniversityJuris Doctor degree (2009)
- United States Air Force AcademyBachelor of Science, Biochemistry (1999)
Oregon State Courts
Virginia State Courts
District of Columbia
Outside The Office
- Fishing and all the other outdoor activities that the Pacific Northwest has to offer.