Aaron S. Haleva is part of Schwabe’s Intellectual Property group, focusing on patent prosecution, patent litigation and technology licensing. Intellectual property is a second career for Aaron, which he chose out of a desire to have a front row seat to the development of cutting-edge technologies.
Prior to joining Schwabe, Aaron spent 15 years in the Intellectual Property department at Kramer, Levin, Naftalis & Frankel LLP in New York City. There, Aaron was the man who “never met a technology he could not master, and rarely met a patent he could not invalidate,” according to one of his colleagues. He also created, nurtured, and helped grow to considerable size patent portfolios for a major satellite radio company, and co-founded a medical device practice.
As co-inventor of a technology dedicated to the acquisition and analysis of large volumes of immunological data to predict disease onset and symptom severity, he continues to be very active in the areas of big data analysis, artificial intelligence, pattern recognition and predictive modelling. He also continues to be involved in creating, managing and licensing patent portfolios in computing devices, communications and compression technology, healthcare and drug delivery devices, and related areas.
- Obtained patent protection for several first-in-their-field insurance, credit risk, and healthcare management predictive modelling technologies for a major international consulting firm.
- Successfully defended major satellite broadcaster against numerous patent infringement assertions by several non-practicing entities.
- As outside counsel to a major (16-state) interagency toll-road group, handled technical aspects of RFP process. Based on multiple legal opinions that detailed the infringement risk and potential invalidity of patents asserted by a prominent prospective vendor against the technologies of other potential vendors, the interagency group obtained a significant multi-million dollar cost savings over several years.
- Created and obtained patent protection for fluid and mist dispensing technologies integrating precise control of separate fluid and air circuits.
- Managing the development of, and obtaining patent protection for, several orthopedic device start-ups and their related therapies.
Memberships & Awards
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Phi Lambda Upsilon, Honorary Chemical Society
- Et Kappa Nu, International Electrical and Computer Engineering Honor Society
Resources & Ideas
- September 29, 2017
- University of WashingtonMaster of Science, Electrical Engineering (1998)
- University of WashingtonBachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering (1995)
- Fordham University School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1986)
- Columbia UniversityBachelor of Arts, Mathematics (1982)
New Jersey State Courts
New York State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit