Katherine “Kate” Acosta counsels clients on a variety of employment concerns. With both state and federal trial experience, Kate is adept at the various stages of litigation. This experience, in combination with her substantive knowledge of employment law, keeps her advice practice cutting-edge. Kate recognizes that clients constantly face novel legal issues, and she helps them understand their obligations while finding practical business solutions.
Prior to joining Schwabe, Kate worked at a boutique litigation firm in Portland, Oregon. Before attending law school, Kate was a professional fundraiser for nonprofit organizations.
- Investigates claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
- Evaluates and recommends ADA accommodations.
- Drafts responses to complaints filed with the Oregon Bureau of Labor & Industries (BOLI).
- Manages case development and resolution, including driving discovery and facilitating settlement.
- Represented an agricultural client facing retaliation claim, among others, in a jury trial and obtained a directed verdict.
Memberships & Awards
Oregon Hispanic Bar Association
Oregon Women Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch (2021)
- Oregon Rising Stars List, Business Litigation (2022)
Relief Nursery, Board of Directors (2021-present)
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree
- Northeastern UniversityMasters degree
- Whitman CollegeBachelor of Arts degree
Alaska State Courts
Oregon State Courts
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
Washington State Courts