Ben C. Fetherston, Jr.
Ben Fetherston is a lawyer whose practice focuses on agricultural and food processing clients. He is a skilled attorney with over 40 years of experience advising large, midsize, and small businesses including food processors and farms throughout Washington and Oregon. A seasoned advocate, Ben provides counsel on corporate and commercial matters, real estate transactions, estate law, and estate planning. He understands the regulatory complexities imposed on food producers and manufacturers and is able to advise his clients on potential issues.
Ben has deep knowledge of the food and agricultural sectors—garnered through decades of service as legal counsel to major producers and manufacturers of food products in the dairy, fruit, vegetable, and meat industries. He is skilled in commercial transactions involving crops and livestock, food products, heavy equipment, and more.
Ben negotiates, drafts, and reviews contracts and related business documents as well as industry-specific matters such as liens, financial reorganizations, and contracts with customers, vendors, and suppliers.
As a veteran legal advisor, Ben is sought after to counsel clients on significant strategic and tactical objectives under consideration by their businesses.
- Experience with commercial transactions involving the manufacture, distribution, and sale of finished consumer goods, in particular food and crops.
- Experience with food product recalls and class action lawsuits for food and agricultural products. Helps limit liabilities while minimizing business constraints.
- Negotiates, drafts, and reviews contracts and related documents in general business matters and industry-specific areas, such as food processing and equipment manufacturing.
- Assists with regulatory issues, notably compliance with workplace safety.
- Represents clients before many government agencies, including Federal Wage and Hour Division, Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry, Oregon OSHA, Oregon Insurance Division, and Oregon Licensing Boards and Commissions.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar Association, member (1981-present)
- Oregon State Bar Committee on Uniform Civil Jury Instructions, former Committee Chair
- Washington State Bar Association, member (2007-present)
- American Public Transit Association Legal Affairs Committee, member
- Food and Drug Law Institute, member
- Mid-Willamette Valley Estate Planning Council, former member and past President
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale Hubbell
- Hearts and Hammers Award 2011, Habitat for Humanity Mid-Willamette Valley, for volunteer service on the board of directors and on the construction site
Resources & Ideas
- Mid-Willamette Valley Habitat for Humanity, former member of the Board of Directors and past President (as well as, more importantly, job site construction volunteer) (2009-2017)
- Oregon Business and Industry (formerly Associated Oregon Industries), past member of the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and past Chairman of the Board (1994-2008)
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark CollegeJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (1981)
- University of DenverBachelor of Arts degree (1978)
Washington State Courts
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Tax Court
United States Supreme Court