Brenna K. Legaard
Brenna Legaard, a registered patent attorney, helps established and emerging technology companies in the medical, software, high-tech manufacturing and sporting goods industries create holistic intellectual property strategies that support long-term business goals. She divides her practice between litigation and transactional work in addition to leading Schwabe’s Technology industry group. Whether through protecting innovations, licensing or acquiring technology, Brenna assists clients in developing strong intellectual property positions.
A seasoned intellectual property litigator, Brenna approaches cases with intellectual rigor. She has a unique ability to view her clients’ situations through a comprehensive lens, connecting dots and seeing patterns that were previously hidden.
Brenna’s strategic approach to working with clients hinges on a proven methodology and creative problem solving. She is skilled at diving deep into each client’s specific business model, technology and market landscape and then circling the wagons internally to align patent strategy with competitive advantage. She is relentless in her focus on doing what is in her clients’ best interest.
In addition to solid credentials and expertise, Brenna’s collaborative personality, energy and contagious enthusiasm make her easy to work with, and as a result, she maintains long-term relationships with her clients.
- Represent Oracle in state and federal litigation against the State of Oregon concerning the development of Oregon's health insurance exchange. (Oracle Corp. v. State of Oregon, 2014-present).
- Obtained an $85 million patent infringement verdict on behalf of Smith & Nephew (Smith & Nephew v. Arthrex, 2004-2011).
- Represented World Class Technology, a new market entrant sued for patent infringement by its largest competitor. Obtained a favorable claim construction and a judgment of noninfringement (World Class Technology v. Ormco, 2012).
- Helped a Fortune 100 sporting goods company enter a very competitive and heavily patented field, find a path through competitor portfolios and hold off challenges while winning market share.
- Represent physicians who invent novel therapy ideas and help them develop IP positions, form partnerships and license their technologies.
- Helped an early stage medical device company position itself for investment or acquisition by reforming the global patent portfolio so that it was less expensive to maintain and better focused on competitive advantage.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property (2016)
- Woman of Influence, Portland Business Journal (2016)
- “Forty under 40,” Portland Business Journal (2014)
- Ranked for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2015-2016)
- U.S. News & World Report, The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Patent Litigation, and Patent Law (2011-2016)
- Intellectual Asset Management, The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2013-2016)
Resources & Ideas
- August 15, 2017
- Portland Business Journal, July 18, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
"Canaries in the Coalmine: Succeeding as Female Counsel in Male-Dominated Industries (Elimination of Bias CLE)," ABA Young Lawyers Division Fall Conference, Co-panelist (October 10, 2014)
Patent System Boot Camp: An In-depth Primer," Technology Association of Oregon, Co-presenter (January 22, 2014)
"Legal Forum: Trademark, Copyright, and Design Patent Boot Camp," Technology Association of Oregon, Co-presenter (February 14, 2013)
"Developing a Patent Infringement Risk-Assessment Strategy — How to Plan for Being Accused of Infringement," Oregon Business magazine, Co-author (February 2014)
"Has Patent Reform Changed Texas?" Oregon's State Bar's Litigation Section newsletter (Spring 2013)
- Behavior Analysis Regulatory Board, appointed by Governor Kate Brown (2015)
- Advocate on behalf of children for access to mental and behavioral healthcare
- Idaho State UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Biology (2000)
- Case Western Reserve University School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1999)
- Idaho State UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, International Studies and Spanish Literature (1994)
Oregon State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Outside The Office
- Snail exploration