David W. Axelrod
David Axelrod guides businesses and individuals in technology, healthcare and other sectors through litigation-driven challenges and opportunities with long-term implications for their business. With 40 years of state and federal court trial and litigation practice, he has handled hundreds of patent, trade dress/trademark and trade regulation disputes before courts in the Pacific Northwest, the Pacific Basin and Europe.
Drawing on his trial and litigation background, David focuses on leading clients to smart strategies, often involving creative resolutions that mitigate or avoid litigation costs and delays that can stifle business growth.
- Tried and successfully participated in securing injunctive relief and rights to operate patent litigations for Fortune 500 companies in the semiconductor and printing industries.
- Tried and litigated the principal pioneer patents and other intellectual property rights leading to the automation of timber processing in the PNW.
- Tried and obtained the first court decisions establishing the rights of hybrid seed developers to protect their inventions under the Plant Variety Protection Act.
- Obtained significant class action relief for pre-1980s Decca Recording Artists in litigation with a major industry label.
- Represented steel firms and management shareholders in multi-jurisdictional disputes resolved only after litigation in the United States, Europe and South Asia.
- Obtained leading appellate rulings governing the rights of businesses and individuals to challenge government regulation as a violation of federal antitrust laws.
- Successfully represented an infant child establish outside the United States rights to inherit from the controlling shareholder of one of the largest packager courier services in the world.
Memberships & Awards
- Ranked for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2016)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property (2016, 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation (2018)
Resources & Ideas
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 12, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- University of California at Los AngelesBachelor of Arts degree, Political Science/Economics, cum laude (1971)
- University of California, Davis School of LawJuris Doctor degree, order of the coif (1975)
Oregon State Courts
Idaho State Courts
Various United States District Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Kitesurfing in the Columbia Gorge or the tropics.