Estiven Rojo helps clients throughout the United States and abroad maximize the value of their intellectual property. He prepares and prosecutes domestic and foreign patent applications, provides counseling on patent strategies and advice on new rules governing intellectual property protection, and helps clients navigate challenges. Estiven focuses on electronics, semiconductor processing and packaging, Internet technologies, networking devices, computer-related technologies and business methods, and he has experience with patent subject matter eligibility, patent analysis, patent appeals, patent reexaminations, post-grant proceedings, litigation support and copyright issues.
Prior to joining Schwabe, Estiven was a member of a prominent patent prosecution boutique in Silicon Valley. During law school, Estiven served as a Patent Examiner Extern at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Estiven was recognized as the regional winner and national finalist of the 40th Annual Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition, where he argued current patent law issues in front of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Prior to law school, Estiven worked as an electrical engineer. He worked on NASA’s Space Program Operations Contract as a design engineer, focusing on the integrated electronic assemblies of solid rocket boosters.
- Drafted inter partes review petitions and ex parte reexamination petitions.
- Prepares appeal briefs to challenge patent applications, including rejections pertaining to obviousness and Section 101 patent eligibility.
- Provides legal opinions and memoranda to clients involved with patentable subject matter eligibility post-Alice, including issues relating to abstract ideas, software, business methods, and life sciences.
- Creates claim charts and organized related patent analysis for enforcement initiatives, licensing issues, and potential litigation.
- Assisted a major technology company in post-grant proceedings by providing a detailed analysis of district court transcripts, expert testimony, complex engineering documents, patentability and avenues for expanding the scope of prior art.
- Reviewed software licenses to assist clients with intellectual property decisions.
Memberships & Awards
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- University of Iowa Boyd Service Award with highest honors (2014)
- Hispanic National Bar Association/Microsoft Intellectual Property Law Institute Scholar (2013)
- 40th Annual Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition, regional winner and national finalist (2013)
- 40th Annual Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Moot Court Regional Competition, Best Brief Award (2013)
Resources & Ideas
- University of Iowa College of LawJuris Doctor degree (2014)
- University of Central FloridaBachelor of Science degree, Electrical Engineering (2006)
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Outside The Office
- Hiking, running, soccer, tennis and travel.