James F. Dulcich
Jim Dulcich is an experienced transactional attorney who represents clients on a wide variety of real estate and business transactions. Recently, Jim has focused on assisting clients with commercial leasing transactions and with the acquisition, development, and sale of properties. Jim also counsels a number of business owners on various legal issues.
As a native Oregonian and active community volunteer, Jim is well connected to Portland’s business and real estate communities. He prides himself on going the extra mile to help clients pursue their goals efficiently and expeditiously.
- Jim negotiated (i) agreements for a ground lease and subsequent purchase of a one-half block of land in the Pearl District in northwest Portland on which the nine-story Pearl West Building was constructed, and (ii) office leases with the tenants of the building.
- From 2016 through the present, Jim has negotiated on behalf of a Portland developer (i) a ground lease and subsequent purchase of a three-quarter block parcel in downtown Portland on which the client constructed the Broadway Tower, a 19-story office/hotel building, that opened in November 2018, and (ii) office and retail leases comprising more than 150,000 square feet of floor space in the Broadway Tower.
- Jim represented the seller in the negotiation and sale of a 122,000-square foot medical office building in Springfield, Oregon.
- Jim is currently representing a client that is developing a full city block in downtown Portland that will be the site of a 35-story building that will feature office and retail use, a luxury hotel, and residential condominiums; the work to date has included negotiating a ground lease with the owner of the land, purchase and sale agreements for the transfer of FAR (floor area ratio) to the site, and crane swing and tieback easement agreements.
- From 2016 through the present, Jim has represented the developer of a new shopping center in Newcastle, Washington, in connection with the acquisition of the land and the negotiation of retail leases.
- From 2017 through the present, Jim has been assisting a client with the sale of unimproved land on Green Mountain in Camas, Washington.
- Jim has recently represented a major cold storage company in connection with (i) the sale of commercial property in northeast Portland and an industrial property in Forest Grove, Oregon, and (ii) the purchase of land from the State of Oregon near Salem, Oregon, from the Port of Grandview in Grandview, Washington, and from a private party in Nampa, Idaho.
- Jim has recently represented tenants in connection with (i) the lease of office space in the Pacific First Center Building in downtown Portland, (ii) the lease of office space in the Lincoln Tower in Portland, (iii) the lease of office space in the Columbia Tech Center in Vancouver, Washington, and (iv) the lease of office space in the Water Tower building in Portland.
- During 2018, Jim represented a large seafood company in connection with the purchase of properties in Newport, Oregon, and Westport, Washington, that will be used for workforce housing.
Memberships & Awards
- NAIOP, Oregon Chapter, Board Member (2006-2012)
- Ranked for Real Estate Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2021-2022)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Real Estate Law (2012-2023)
- Awarded a peer review rating of “AV Preeminent” (the highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell®
Resources & Ideas
- Nine practice areas and 24 lawyers chosen for distinctionJune 2, 2022
- Portland Business JournalJuly 16, 2021
- Nine practice areas and 23 attorneys chosen for distinctionMay 20, 2021
- The OregonianJune 20, 2019
- The OregonianThe Oregonian, June 1, 2018
- Waverley Country Club, President (2013-2014), Director (2011-2014)
- Oregon Symphony Association, Secretary (2005-2013), Director (2001-2013)
- University of Oregon, Member of the UO Portland Council; Past President of the Oregon Club of Portland; Former Vice President of the UO Alumni Association)
- University of OregonBachelor of Science degree in Finance, with honors, Phi Beta Kappa (1977)
- University of Virginia School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1982)
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Outside The Office
- College sports, golf, and family vacations in Akumal, Mexico.