James Ryan Edwards
James Edwards represents small to mid-sized businesses in a variety of business matters. His clients include entrepreneurs seeking advice on how to appropriately structure enterprises, closely held companies analyzing potential exit strategies, and companies embroiled in contract disputes. James focuses particularly on entity formation, contract negotiation and contract litigation.
James employs a flexible and creative approach to providing legal solutions for his clients, seeking to provide the most value at all times. Whether he is working on a deadlock provision or a convertible note, James prides himself on his ability to distill complex legal concepts into understandable, and more importantly, usable knowledge.
- Helped a small business owner secure a judgment on its breach of contract claim against an evasive customer.
- Assisted an international buyer in closing a multi-million dollar purchase of a manufacturing company.
- Generated and facilitated the formation of an entity structure for a multi-purpose business enterprise that provided both liability protection and privacy.
- Drafted and negotiated the operational documents for a multiple-owner, multiple-entity restaurant endeavor.
- Negotiated the exit of an LLC member in breach of the LLC agreement without litigation, and ensured the protection of the LLC and its remaining members going forward.
- Guided a single-owner business through the process of offering its first convertible note.
Memberships & Awards
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Contracts (2011), UCC Secured Transactions (2012), Bankruptcy (2013), Conflict of Laws (2013)
- Seattle YPA
- American Civil Liberties Union Cooperating Attorney
- Seattle University School of LawJuris Doctor degree, magna cum laude (2013)
- University of Puget SoundBachelor of Arts degree, History/Politics & Government (2009)
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- In the great outdoors: golfing, skiing and hiking. In the great indoors: trying out new recipes and playing with my corgi, Watson.