Jay T. Waldron
Principally serving the energy, utility and transportation industries as well as public ports, Jay Waldron represents a diverse client base in environmental and energy law and litigation. He has tried complex cases in federal and state courts and before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. At the appellate level, Jay has briefed and argued energy and environmental cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Oregon Supreme Court.
Jay has represented clients at nearly two dozen state and federal Superfund sites and has drafted dozens of power sales and power purchase agreements. He advises clients in siting facilities from landfills to power plants and from pipelines to gold mines, including coal and crude oil terminals. With a reputation for suggesting innovative solutions to difficult issues, he has earned the respect of the environmental and regulatory communities.
- Obtained a $100 million award in international arbitration on an energy contract.
- Represents navigational interests on Endangered Species Act lawsuits related to the Columbia and Snake River Dam system in federal court.
- Successfully defended Federal Clean Air Act litigation regarding applicability of prevention of significant deterioration (PSD) regulations.
- Obtained a $10 million award against the State of Oregon in a forest trust land dispute.
- Recovered $9.7 million for Coos County in a natural gas pipeline construction dispute.
- Won a jury verdict for $1.7 million in a water pricing dispute.
- Participated in the litigation and settlement of a $2 billion energy pricing dispute.
- Prevailed in federal litigation that upheld a Clean Air Act permit.
- Handling an ongoing administrative challenge to denial to construct coal transloading dock.
Memberships & Awards
- Lewis and Clark Board of Trustees, Member
- Clean Water Institute, Board President
- Halprin Conservancy, Board Member
- OHSU Board of Directors, Former Chair
- Port of Portland Commission, Former Chair
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Lawyer of the Year, Portland Environmental Litigation (2022)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Environmental Law, Environmental Litigation, and Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy) Litigation (2009-2022)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Environmental Litigation (2016-2019)
- Oregon State Bar Pro Bono award
Resources & Ideas
- August 19, 2016
- Best LawyersAugust 19, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- Super LawyersJuly 5, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 1, 2016
Author, chapters in Environmental Law and Damages, Oregon State Bar Handbooks.
Author, "Navigating Environmental Law for Client Success" The Legal Impact of Climate Change.
- Providence CollegeBachelor of Arts degree, English (1967)
- University of VirginiaMaster of Arts degree, English (1968)
- University of Virginia School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1974)
Oregon State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Adventure motorcycling, whitewater rafting and serving on public boards