Jean Ohman Back
Jean Back brings more than 25 years of experience in helping manufacturers and technology-focused employers solve problems to complicated employment scenarios. She has broad expertise in litigation, mediation and settlement of employment and business tort claims. She is fluent in all areas of state and federal employment, wage and hour, discrimination, and leave laws. She is skilled at training managers and employees in employment compliance.
Track Record of Success
- Leadership – Highly skilled mentor and advisor at all levels.
- Committed to Manufacturing and Technology – As the Secretary/Treasurer on the Board of the Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership, Jean has a deep understanding of the challenges faced by Oregon manufacturers. Jean is also involved with and has spoken on several panels for the Technology Association of Oregon.
- Litigation Budgeting – Well versed in managing detailed budgets for complicated litigation matters.
- Communications – Adept creator of collaborative written and oral communications with clients, courts, administrative agencies, colleagues, and opposing counsel.
- Writing – Skilled in written advocacy, including drafting briefs, EEOC and state administrative charge responses, and in contract drafting, including, but not limited to employment agreements, separation agreements, non-disclosure/non-solicitation agreements, and intellectual property agreement.
Trusted Advisor, Collaborator
Jean’s practice is split between advice and litigation. Acting as a legal advisor, Jean gets to know your organization and industry and takes on the role of a trusted and knowledgeable extension of your business. Armed with this knowledge, Jean can step in quickly to provide advice regarding risks and strategies to tackle key problems. Examples of Jean’s work include:
- Stepped in after three key employees left an organization, set up a competing company with a similar name, and solicited employees. The new organization’s advertisements and web page were similar in appearance to the client’s, which caused confusion for the client’s customers. Jean quickly sent a cease and desist and Complaint to attorneys for the competing employees. The matter was resolved in mediation, avoiding expensive litigation
- Drafted a cease and desist letter to employees who left a design firm and were using the firm’s trade secrets and work product for their new employer. Jean was successful in obtaining agreements to cease using any work product from the original employer, and in obtaining affidavits from each employee regarding their agreement not to compete in the future.
- After complaints of harassing and bullying behavior by one employee who claimed to be disabled, Jean met with the key company managers involved in employment compliance and provided advice on discipline for the employee, whether a harassment investigation was warranted by behavior, and talking points for future interactions. Jean provided step-by-step advice that resulted in the company’s ability to stop bullying behaviors, and to retain a key employee.
- Ryman v. Sears Roebuck and Co. (achieved complete summary judgment in Federal District Court for Sears on Plaintiff's OFLA, FMLA, and wrongful termination claims).
- Masons Supply Co. v. Lindsey (prevailed in a preliminary injunction hearing on behalf of Masons to enforce its non-competition agreement with a departing employee).
- Dixon v. Western States Insurance Agency (achieved a complete walk-away and dismissal of all claims by the Plaintiff after summary judgment briefing).
- Carson Oil v. Snyder (achieved a favorable settlement that included adherence to a non-solicitation provision preventing solicitation of Carson's customers by Snyder, a former employer.
Memberships & Awards
- Defense Research Institute
- Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership, Secretary Treasurer
Resources & Ideas
- Oregon Manufacturing Extension PartnershipFebruary 15, 2018
- November 22, 2017
- March 10, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- May 1, 2019
- December 5, 2018
- June 14, 2018
- March 12, 2018
- February 22, 2018
- February 14, 2018
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt: 1211 SW 5th Avenue, Portland, OR 97204, September 22, 2017
- July 25, 2017
- April 20, 2017
- Northwest Food Processors AssociationSchwabe, Williamson & Wyatt 1211 SW 5th Ave Suite 1900 Portland, OR 97204, February 16, 2017
- 1211 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1900, Portland, OR, 97206, January 27, 2017
- Vancouver, WA, November 9, 2016
- September 20, 2016
- Portland, Oregon, June 15, 2016
- February 26, 2016
- Salem, Oregon, February 26, 2016
- January 22, 2016
- January 14, 2016
Legislative Update: What Manufacturers Need to Know, webinar, Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership, October 23, 2015
Mandatory Statewide Paid Sick Leave, webinar, Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership, October 22, 2015
- March 22, 2019
- March 7, 2019
- April 12, 2018
- January 4, 2018
- May 31, 2019
- May 20, 2019
- December 21, 2018
- June 8, 2018
- May 24, 2018
- May 18, 2018
- May 4, 2018
- February 6, 2018
- December 4, 2017
- October 23, 2017
- September 22, 2017
- Federal Contractors Must Now Provide Privacy Training to Employees Who Handle Personally Identifiable InformationMarch 2, 2017
- January 27, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- November 23, 2016
- September 29, 2016
- Daily Journal of Commerce, August 5, 2016
- Manufacturing and Technology Industry Skills Gap for Incoming Youth: Takeaways from Gateway to College Panel DiscussionJune 20, 2016
- May 19, 2016
- April 4, 2016
- February 26, 2016
- December 3, 2015
- Schwabe in the Field: New Paid Rest Break Ruling Burdens Washington Agriculture — Oregon May Be Next?July 24, 2015
- July 20, 2015
- Daily Journal of Commerce, July 2, 2015
- October 16, 2013
- August 14, 2012
- Speaker, SW Washington SHRM, legal updates
- Speaker, Tribal In-house Counsel Association Annual Meeting – Privacy Issues in the Workplace
- Speaker, NBI seminar, “Business Attorneys Guide to Information Technology”
- Moderator, Schwabe 2017 Manufacturing Symposium
- Speaker, Schwabe 2017 Manufacturing Roundtable on Legal Updates.
- Judge, Classroom Law Project “We the People” contest
- University of California at Santa BarbaraBachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, minor in French (1983)
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1991)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Outside The Office
- Jean enjoys dragon boat racing, golfing, and hiking.