Jeffrey S. Eden
Jeff Eden draws on his diverse civil litigation background to help clients resolve disputes, whether by means of negotiated agreements or contested hearings.
Jeff is the chair of the firm’s Business and Product Litigation Practice Group and has taken over 85 jury trials to verdict in the state and federal courts of Oregon and Washington, and has handled hundreds of contested arbitration hearings. Using his extensive courtroom experience, he guides his clients through the most efficient paths to resolution, whether through early case evaluation, or by obtaining a contested verdict when necessary.
Jeff represents manufacturing and distribution clients in the drug and medical device industry, as well as the construction and consumer equipment fields. In this space, he has served as both local and national coordinating counsel. Jeff also assists healthcare professionals such as pharmacists, doctors and nurses when they have disagreements with their licensing bodies.
"We choose Schwabe to serve our legal needs primarily because of Jeff Eden and Brenna Legaard, both are exceptional attorneys and advisors. They are trustworthy, more than competent, and incredibly creative. We wouldn't go anywhere else for litigation or IP support. Plus, they're both genuinely nice people that are fun to work with."
-American Medical Concepts
- Represented multinational technology company in litigation with the state of Oregon over the development of software to facilitate online enrollment in health insurance exchange.
- Defended a major transportation company in the trial of a personal injury case in which the plaintiff’s lowest pretrial demand was $10 million. The jury awarded only $7,857 in total damages.
- Successfully defended and settled catastrophic injury cases for heavy equipment manufacturers and retailers, saving costs of defense and protecting against potentially large verdicts.
- Provided risk management advice for efficient discovery coordination.
- Represented numerous orthopedic implant manufacturers in collaborative defense to product liability litigation.
- Successfully defended a leading Western retailer in product liability cases involving nutritional supplements and consumer goods litigation, and succeeded in persuading the manufacturer to resolve cases.
- Defended numerous manufacturing clients in consumer goods product liability cases.
- Represented manufacturers and retailers of both guns and ammunition in product defect claims.
- Successfully defended a major retailer in an MDL consumer products liability case.
- Litigation and regulatory defense of pharmaceutical retailer and pharmacists.
Memberships & Awards
- Sustaining member of The Product Liability Advisory Council, Inc. (PLAC)
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, Member
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- Former Vice Chair of the Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association (ABA) and Tort & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- American Society for Pharmacy Law (ASPL), Member
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV rating
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Personal Injury – Products Liability (2007-2019)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Portland's "Lawyer of the Year" for Banking and Finance Law (2020)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2007-2020)
Resources & Ideas
- In Landmark Labor Case, Jury Awards $93.6 Million in Damages to Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Client, ICTSI Oregon, Inc.November 13, 2019
- Law360November 5, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- Super LawyersJuly 5, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
Author, Oregon chapter in DRI's book, Product Liability Defenses, 2007, 2013 and 2017
- Board member, Arrowhead Golf Club, 2013-present
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark CollegeJuris Doctor degree, magna cum laude (1985)
- University of OregonBachelor of Science degree (1982)
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Spending time with friends and family (including dogs and horses), as well as a bit of friendly competition on the golf course.