Jill S. Gelineau
Jill Gelineau represents property owners when a governmental entity seeks to take their property through eminent domain. In more than 30 years of practice, she has been involved in many of the most complex and high-profile public projects in the Pacific Northwest.
Jill is known for her success resolving cases short of the courtroom, but when litigation is unavoidable, she is a strong advocate for the property owner up to and including trial. She has extensive experience representing property owners throughout Oregon and Washington in both state and federal court. Pragmatic and practical, Jill focuses on understanding her clients’ overall objectives and the big picture, and takes a logical route to creating best outcomes.
- Tried Modoc Lumber Company’s two-and-a-half week case against the City of Klamath Falls, which took 60 acres of the client’s property by eminent domain. Although the City claimed the property was worth only $100,000, the jury returned a verdict valuing it at $1.66 million, increasing the client’s position more than tenfold.
- Successfully represented the Dolans in the Dolan v. City of Tigard trial following its remand from the U.S. Supreme Court in a case that established significant and far-reaching property rights for landowners nationwide.
- Represented Danebo Properties and Michael Kelley in a lawsuit against the City of Eugene, which settled for $3.95 million after the City refused to allow Mr. Kelley to develop his property in violation of state and federal takings laws.
Other Private Property Rights Litigation
- Negotiated for a large local manufacturer with the State of Oregon and the State of Washington and before the U.S. Coast Guard when construction of the Columbia River Crossing threatened the company’s ability to operate.
Memberships & Awards
- ABA Section of Litigation-Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Committee, Co-chair (2007-2010)
- Task Force for Land Use Planning, Member (2006-2010, appointed by Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski)
- American Bar Association Young Lawyer’s Division, Chair of the Litigation Committee (1992-1993)
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year for Eminent Domain in Portland, Oregon
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the area of Eminent Domain
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Eminent Domain (2016-2018)
Resources & Ideas
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- American Law InstituteFrancis Marion Hotel, Charleston, South Carolina, January 25, 2018
- Crowne Plaza Portland - Downtown Convention Center, June 9 & 10, 2016
ALI-CLE Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation: Relocation, Personal Property, Fixtures and Equipment—How to Succeed
ALI-CLE Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation: Anatomy of An Appraisal Report
- University of OregonBachelor of Science degree, Phi Beta Kappa (1982)
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree, Order of the Coif (1985)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
Outside The Office
- Getting on my skis all over the world.