Kainui M. Smith
Kainui Smith strives to provide comprehensive and client-centric legal services to real estate and construction companies from the inception of a project, and if necessary, through litigation. Kainui has handled a variety of cases as both plaintiff and defense counsel through all phases of mediation, arbitration, and litigation. His experience allows him to thoroughly evaluate a matter and develop a case plan to advise clients of their options in relatable terms rather than legalese.
Prior to joining the firm, Kainui worked as a Litigation Associate for Porter McGuire Kiakona & Chow LLP in Hawaii practicing in the areas of construction litigation, commercial litigation, real estate litigation, and community and condominium association litigation. Kainui also served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Glenn S. Hara of the Third Circuit Court, State of Hawaii.
Coordinated requests, responses, and oppositions to production of documents in Public Records Requests.
Served as co-lead counsel in construction litigation and arbitration on behalf of a homeowners’ association that resulted in a confidential settlement allowing the association to proceed with all necessary repairs.
- Successfully litigated and resolved, through a confidential settlement, a real estate dispute over a $40 million purchase and sale agreement related to prime development property in Waikiki.
- Contributed as part of the trial team for a jury trial on behalf of a homeowners’ association leading to a favorable jury verdict including treble damages and attorneys’ fees and costs pursuant to Hawaii’s Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Negotiated a settlement agreement with an independent claims administrator related to a defective roofing product on behalf of a homeowners’ association.
Memberships & Awards
- Amy C. Richardson Award for Best Paper on Native Hawaiian Rights, Connecting Our Future to Our Past: Kawaiahao Church’s Multi-Purpose Center and the Need for Burials Statute Reform (2012)
- American Bar Association Section of State & Local Government Law, Law Student Award for Land Use Law (2012-2013)
Resources & Ideas
- Daily Journal of CommerceMay 15, 2020
- May 1, 2020
- March 26, 2020
- Recent Supreme Court Opinion Serves as Call to Action for Contractors to Review Contract Notice RequirementsOctober 2, 2018
- University of Hawai’i at Manoa, William S. Richardson School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2013). Native Hawaiian Law Certificate.
- University of Hawai’i at ManoaBachelor of Arts degree, Political Science and Hawaiian Language (2009)
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
Hawaii State Courts
United States District Court of Hawaii
Outside The Office
- Exploring new places, eating amazing food, and finding fresh adventures with my wife, Corinne.