Kainui M. Smith
Kainui Smith strives to provide comprehensive and client-centric legal services to real estate and construction companies from the inception of a project, and if necessary, through litigation. Kainui has handled a variety of cases as both plaintiff and defense counsel through all phases of mediation, arbitration, and litigation. His experience allows him to thoroughly evaluate a matter and develop a case plan to advise clients of their options in relatable terms rather than legalese.
Prior to joining the firm, Kainui worked as a Litigation Associate for Porter McGuire Kiakona & Chow LLP in Hawaii practicing in the areas of construction litigation, commercial litigation, real estate litigation, and community and condominium association litigation. Kainui also served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Glenn S. Hara of the Third Circuit Court, State of Hawaii.
- Served as co-lead counsel in construction litigation and arbitration on behalf of a homeowners’ association that resulted in a confidential settlement allowing the association to proceed with all necessary repairs.
- Successfully litigated and resolved, through a confidential settlement, a real estate dispute over a $40 million purchase and sale agreement related to prime development property in Waikiki.
- Contributed as part of the trial team for a jury trial on behalf of a homeowners’ association leading to a favorable jury verdict including treble damages and attorneys’ fees and costs pursuant to Hawaii’s Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Negotiated a settlement agreement with an independent claims administrator related to a defective roofing product on behalf of a homeowners’ association.
Memberships & Awards
- Amy C. Richardson Award for Best Paper on Native Hawaiian Rights, Connecting Our Future to Our Past: Kawaiahao Church’s Multi-Purpose Center and the Need for Burials Statute Reform (2012)
- American Bar Association Section of State & Local Government Law, Law Student Award for Land Use Law (2012-2013)
Resources & Ideas
- University of Hawai’i at Manoa, William S. Richardson School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2013)
- University of Hawai’i at ManoaBachelor of Arts degree, Political Science and Hawaiian Language (2009)
Outside The Office
- Exploring new places, eating amazing food, and finding fresh adventures with my wife, Corinne.