Kayla Tanner helps clients resolve problems, whether through the creation and implementation of new policies and procedures, workplace investigations, corporate governance, or litigation in state or federal court. She represents Alaska native corporations, tribal governments, public entities, and private companies through their diverse business needs. As a practiced litigator, she pursues her clients’ interests in contract, employment, and civil rights claims.
Kayla’s prior position as an in-house lawyer for an energy industry engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) company managing client, vendor, and employment matters affords her clients the benefit of a lawyer who intimately knows the many varied issues that they face each day. Also an experienced appellate writer, Kayla has successfully defended her clients’ victories on appeal.
- Defended a company and its affiliates against Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), whistle-blower, and Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Drafts and negotiates various employment related contracts, including staff augmentation agreements, separation agreements, consulting agreements, health plan vendor contracts, and other service agreements.
- Reviews and negotiates contracts with energy industry clients for catalyst and turnaround services, which involve maintaining the risk tolerance through indemnity, insurance, and flow down provisions.
- Drafted an appellate brief and reply defending a trial court’s construction of an oil and gas deed before the Texas Fourth Court of Appeals.
- Negotiated over 60 case settlements incorporating favorable indemnity, release, and confidentiality provisions, including partnership disputes and fiduciary litigation.
- Managed a docket of 25 disputes for a large energy client, including asserting and defending contract claims and negligence-based property damage claims.
- Prosecuted a lease dispute for an energy client through a final three-day arbitration hearing, including leading direct and redirect examination of witnesses.
Memberships & Awards
- Alaska Bar Association (2020 - present)
- San Antonio Bar Association (2015-2020)
- Best San Antonio (S.A.) Lawyer, In-House Counsel, Scene In S.A. (2019, 2020)
- Best S.A. Lawyer, Appellate, Scene In S.A. (2018)
- Best S.A. Lawyer, Business Litigation, Scene In S.A. (2017)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- December 8, 2021
- November 10, 2021
- October 13, 2021
- Bexar County Women’s Bar Association, Director (2018-2020)
- Defense Counsel of San Antonio, Vice President (2015-2019)
- William S. Sessions American Inns of Court, Participant (2016-2018)
- Texas Tech University School of LawJuris Doctor degree, summa cum laude (2014)
- University of Alaska Anchorage Bachelor of Arts degree, Justice, magna cum laude (2010)
Alaska State Courts
Texas State Courts
United States District Court, District of Western Texas
United States District Court, District of Eastern Texas
United States District Court, District of Northern Texas
United States District Court, District of Southern Texas