Kurt F. Hansen
Schwabe Mourns the Loss of Colleague and Friend Kurt Hansen
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt was saddened to share news of the passing of our longtime colleague and friend, Kurt Hansen, who passed away on June 13, 2021. Those of us at Schwabe will remember Kurt as a loyal, honest, and direct advisor who always had our best interests at heart.
Kurt was a mainstay of our healthcare practice and served as the firm’s General Counsel. His steady yet firm hand was inspiring and comforting, with few better suited to the task of understanding the ethical rules that govern our profession.
Kurt attended the University of Oregon Law School, graduating in 1984, the same year he joined Schwabe. Kurt was an avid U of O supporter, participating in the President’s Advisory Council until his passing. In addition to being an accomplished lawyer, Kurt served our country for many years in the Navy, attaining the rank of Captain. Kurt was most recently recalled to service during the Iraq War.
We were truly honored in the time we spent with Kurt Hansen, and we are thankful for the opportunity to learn from him. We will feel Kurt’s loss across our firm, but we are grateful for his friendship, guidance, and contributions. His commitment to our people and the work leaves a shining legacy that Schwabe will never forget.
- Handled multiple hospital mergers, including the acquisition of public district hospitals.
- Represented over 1,600 dentists and physicians in licensure matters.
- Represented many physician practices in acquisitions and combinations.
- Represented many physicians joining practices.
- Represented multispecialty practices in regulatory and billing compliance.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Legal Ethics Committee (2006-2011), Chair (2010)
- U.S. Navy, Legion of Merit
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Health Care Law (2010-2021)
- Emanuel Medical Center Foundation, 1909 Society Community Spirit award (2013)
Resources & Ideas
- August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 19, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Case Law and Opinion Updates on Legal Ethics and MalpracticeJanuary 25, 2019
- Ethics Hour: Identifying and Resolving Conflicts of InterestSeptember 28, 2018
- Complex, Cutting Edge Ethics Issues (and How to Deal with Them)Ethics hour: Legal ethics tips for every lawyerMarch 16, 2018
- Portland, Oregon, April 7, 2016
- U.S. Navy, Lieutenant; retired as Captain; mobilized twice in the Iraq War including deployment as Commander Task Group 55.5
- Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, Foundation Board, Past Chair
- University of Oregon Law School, Dean’s Advisory Council
- University of Oregon Law School, Alumni Board
- University of Oregon Law School, Adjunct Professor (1995-2001)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Western District of Washington