Mark Adams advises companies and individuals on various business transactions. He guides clients through business formations and governance, commercial contracts, 1031 transactions, and business acquisitions and dispositions.
Before joining Schwabe, Mark worked in a boutique law firm focused on business transactions and real estate, and prior to that, as an attorney for an exchange group, advising clients on all aspects of 1031 exchanges. He has consulted on over 1,000 tax-deferred exchanges.
With his diverse professional background, including positions in tax departments of Fortune 500 companies, public accounting, and as a small business owner, Mark understands the many different issues his clients encounter and enjoys working with them to seek successful outcomes.
- Advised a client on a complex partnership issue with regard to the completion of $40 million reverse-improvement 1031 exchange.
- Represent clients in negotiation and drafting of purchase/sale agreements.
- Negotiated lease terms for a commercial client with multiple locations.
- Counseled clients on lease renewal options for a restaurant location.
- Represented a business owner in the sale of his company.
- Represented members of LLCs in buyouts of other members.
- Negotiated a commercial service contract for a company with multiple restaurants.
- Counseled a business through the asset sale alongside a restructuring.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar Association, Member of the Business Law, Real Estate & Land Use, and Tax Sections
- Multnomah County Bar Association, Member
Federation of Exchange Accommodators (the 1031 industry trade association), Board of Directors appointee and Government Affairs Committee representative (2018-2021)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
“1031 Exchanges: The Basics and More,” Oregon Society of Tax Consultants, September 10, 2021
“Reporting a 1031 Exchange on IRS Form 8824 and the Basics on How it Works,” Oregon Society of Tax Consultants, August 17, 2020
“1031 Dessert: Achieving Personal and Business Goals through 1031 Exchanges,” Beutler Exchange Webinar, June 30, 2020
- October 13, 2022
- October 6, 2022
- May 25, 2022
“The Latest in the Battle to Preserve 1031,” The Northwest Apartment Investor, December 2021
- City of West Linn, Citizen Budget Committee, Chairman (2017-2021)
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon (2015-2018)
- Portland Homeless Family Solutions (2016-2019)
- The Florida State University College of LawJuris Doctor degree (1998)
- University of OregonBachelor of Arts degree (1995)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Mark loves spending time with his family, engaged in outdoor activities such as hiking, golf, and skiing. He also enjoys training for and participating in triathlons.