Mark A. Long
Mark Long helps public, private and non-profit companies make sound decisions on the governance, structure and finance issues that drive their futures. Drawing on nearly 35 years of corporate legal experience, he provides seasoned, thoughtful guidance to clients in the healthcare, manufacturing, distribution, technology and service industries. Mark has a particular focus on healthcare, working with numerous medical and dental groups, hospitals, individuals and related businesses.
A veteran of the corporate trenches, Mark formerly chaired Schwabe’s M&A practice, representing clients in hundreds of significant mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other transactions. He has also counseled investors and management in venture capital and angel investments, credit arrangements, changes in control and fiduciary challenges.
Corporate counsel informed by M&A know-how
Mark’s M&A experience is especially valuable to clients in healthcare and other industries experiencing consolidation. His hands-on understanding of the business combination process helps him advise clients on corporate governance and other structures that will best support their long-term objectives.
Reading the healthcare tea leaves
In an era of unknowns about the future of the healthcare industry, Mark’s legislative background enables him to provide particular insight. Before joining Schwabe, he was a legislative assistant to Oregon Senator Bob Packwood and a principal of a Washington, D.C.-based federal affairs and governmental relations consulting firm. He continues to monitor and influence public policy in the health care arena through his work on behalf of the Oregon Business Association’s Health Policy Committee.
- Counseled a large non-profit corporation in connection with its reorganization, creating over 120 affiliated organizations in furtherance of specific asset protection and corporate governance strategies.
- Represented a large Oregon-based wholesale cooperative in connection with its merger into another cooperative, producing a combined entity with over $3 billion in revenue.
- Advised the boards of directors of large single-specialty and multi-specialty healthcare providers on governance and fiduciary issues with special implications for the healthcare industry.
- Advised boards of directors on developing and implementing governance models designed to align with and promote the corporation’s strategic plans and objectives.
Memberships & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year Award for Business Organizations in Portland, Oregon (2015 and 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America Award (2013-2017)
- Oregon Super Lawyers (2006–2017)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the areas of business organizations, corporate and securities, and capital markets law
- Daily Journal of Commerce "Leadership in the Law" Award (2012)
- Hubbard One Excellence in Legal Marketing Award: Marketing Partner of the Year (2008)
Resources & Ideas
- October 19, 2017
- October 13, 2017
- October 12, 2017
- Puget Sound Business Journal, October 12, 2017
- Portland Business Journal, October 12, 2017
- October 12, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- June 8, 2016
- June 16, 2010
- Oregon Business, October 28, 2015
"Thoughtful Strategies for Law Firms Looking to Expand," Strategies for Growing a Law Firm (2012)
"It Takes Two: Dual Management Model Facilitates Law Firm Innovation and Growth." Legal Management: 6-60.
"Business Law/IP Session: Internet Deals at Internet Speed." Commerce in the Digital Age, OSB CLE.
- Oregon Business Association, former Chairman of the Board and member of Health Policy Committee
- Oregon Business and Industries, Board and Executive Committee Member
- The Freshwater Trust, past Director
- Emanuel Hospital Foundation, former Vice Chair
- Metropolitan Family Services, Investment Committee
- Loaves and Fishes, past Board Member
- Saturday Academy, past Board Member
- American University Washington College of LawJuris Doctor degree, summa cum laude (1982)
- Claremont McKenna CollegeBachelor of Arts degree, cum laude (1975)
- Université de Lyon, Lyons, FranceCertificate (1973) and Diplôme de la Langue et de la Civilisation Française (1974)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Skiing, mountain biking, road biking, golf, travel and my most recent hobby, snow biking.