Mark A. Long
Mark Long helps public, private and non-profit companies make sound decisions on the governance, structure and finance issues that drive their futures. Drawing on nearly 35 years of corporate legal experience, he provides seasoned, thoughtful guidance to clients in the healthcare, manufacturing, distribution, technology and service industries. Mark has a particular focus on healthcare, working with numerous medical and dental groups, hospitals, individuals and related businesses.
A veteran of the corporate trenches, Mark formerly chaired Schwabe’s M&A practice, representing clients in hundreds of significant mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other transactions. He has also counseled investors and management in venture capital and angel investments, credit arrangements, changes in control and fiduciary challenges.
Corporate counsel informed by M&A know-how
Mark’s M&A experience is especially valuable to clients in healthcare and other industries experiencing consolidation. His hands-on understanding of the business combination process helps him advise clients on corporate governance and other structures that will best support their long-term objectives. Mark served as the firm’s Managing Partner from 2001 to 2017, an experience that has served him well as an advisor to C-suites and boards of numerous client organizations.
Reading the healthcare tea leaves
In an era of unknowns about the future of the healthcare industry, Mark’s legislative background enables him to provide particular insight. Before joining Schwabe, he was a legislative assistant to Oregon Senator Bob Packwood and a principal of a Washington, D.C.-based federal affairs and governmental relations consulting firm. He continues to monitor and influence public policy in the health care arena through his work on behalf of the Oregon Business Association’s Health Policy Committee.
- Counseled a large non-profit corporation in connection with its reorganization, creating over 120 affiliated organizations in furtherance of specific asset protection and corporate governance strategies.
- Represented a large Oregon-based wholesale cooperative in connection with its merger into another cooperative, producing a combined entity with over $3 billion in revenue.
- Advised the boards of directors of large single-specialty and multi-specialty healthcare providers on governance and fiduciary issues with special implications for the healthcare industry.
- Advised boards of directors on developing and implementing governance models designed to align with and promote the corporation’s strategic plans and objectives.
Memberships & Awards
- American Bar Association, including the Business Law and Healthcare Law Sections
- Attorney Liability Assurance Society, Managing Partner Advisory Committee Member
- Oregon State Bar, including the Sections on Health Law, Business Law and Securities Law
- Washington State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year Award, Portland Corporate Law (2022), Portland Business Organizations (2015, 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Business Organizations, Corporate Law, and Securities/Capital Markets Law (2013-2023)
- Oregon Super Lawyers (2006–2020)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the areas of business organizations, corporate and securities, and capital markets law
- Daily Journal of Commerce "Leadership in the Law" Award (2012)
- Hubbard One Excellence in Legal Marketing Award: Marketing Partner of the Year (2008)
- Gillette Award for Highest Scholastic Achievement, American University Washington College of Law (1982)
Resources & Ideas
- May 4, 2018
- Portland Business JournalJuly 16, 2021
- October 19, 2017
- October 13, 2017
- October 12, 2017
- Puget Sound Business Journal, October 12, 2017
- Portland Business Journal, October 12, 2017
- June 8, 2016
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 3February 24, 2022
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide, Part 4February 24, 2022
- Asking for Forgiveness: Further Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications and Guidance (Updated 08/12/2021)August 12, 2021
- August 3, 2021
- First Draw Loans at or Over $2 million—SBA Discontinues Use of Necessity Questionnaires and What Is NextAugust 3, 2021
- What to Know about the Paycheck Protection Program, Round Two – First Draw PPP Loans (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- 10 Things to Know about Second Draw PPP Loans as Updated for the Economic Aid Act and the ARP Act (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- PPP Ineligibility Update: Businesses Ineligible for First Draw and Second Draw PPP Loans (Updated 4/8/2021)April 8, 2021
- American Rescue Plan Act: Changes to Paycheck Protection Program, Certain Tax and ERISA Provisions, and Other Small Business ReliefMarch 12, 2021
- New 14-day exclusive period for businesses with fewer than 20 employees starts February 24February 23, 2021
- January 27, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 1January 26, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 2January 26, 2021
- Highlights of PPP Loan Items in the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Nonprofits, and Venues Act and 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act (Updated 01/06/2021)January 6, 2021
- December 30, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- August 12, 2020
- PPP Loan Rules Clarified for Fishing Boat Owners/Operators; OSHA and CDC Interim Guidance for Seafood ProcessorsJuly 1, 2020
- SBA Issues Additional PPP Rules on Effect of State and Local COVID-19 Orders and Other Items on Loan ForgivenessJune 29, 2020
- June 19, 2020
- June 11, 2020
- June 10, 2020
- June 4, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- "In Praise of Civility," ALAS Managing Partners CornerMay 2018
- Oregon Business, October 28, 2015
"Thoughtful Strategies for Law Firms Looking to Expand," Strategies for Growing a Law Firm (2012)
"It Takes Two: Dual Management Model Facilitates Law Firm Innovation and Growth." Legal Management: 6-60.
"Business Law/IP Session: Internet Deals at Internet Speed." Commerce in the Digital Age, OSB CLE.
- Oregon Business Association, former Chairman of the Board and member of Health Policy Committee
- Oregon Business and Industries, Board and Executive Committee Member
- Oregon Graduate Institute (now part of Oregon Health and Science University), former Trustee
- Oregon Health and Science University Dean's Advisory Committee, Past Member
- The Freshwater Trust, past Director
- Emanuel Hospital Foundation, former Vice Chair and Director
- Metropolitan Family Services, Investment Committee Member
- Loaves and Fishes, past Board Member
- Saturday Academy, past Board Member
- American University Washington College of LawJuris Doctor degree, summa cum laude (1982)
- Claremont McKenna CollegeBachelor of Arts degree, cum laude (1975)
- Université de Lyon, Lyons, FranceCertificat (1973) and Diplôme de Langue et de Civilisation Françaises (1974)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Skiing, mountain biking, road biking, golf, travel and my most recent hobby, snow biking.