Matthew R. Berry
Matt Berry helps owners, developers, contractors, and design professionals resolve disputes arising from private and public construction projects. Matt has prosecuted and defended a variety of cases through all phases of litigation. A determined advocate, Matt works with his clients to develop the right strategies to meet their objectives.
Prior to joining Schwabe, Matt was a litigator at a boutique Portland law firm, practicing in the areas of construction and design litigation, surety and fidelity litigation, and commercial litigation. Matt also served as a law clerk, first for the Honorable Michael J. McShane of the United States District Court, District of Oregon, and then for the Honorable Maria M. Cabret of the Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands.
- Prevailed on a motion to stay claims against payment bonds exceeding $10 million until administrative resolution occurred under the Contract Disputes Act.
- Contributed as part of a multi-million-dollar construction dispute to obtain a favorable arbitration award that declared a termination for cause was wrongful and awarded damages for breach of contract and implied warranties.
- Resolved a water-penetration construction-defect claim through settlement.
- Negotiated multiple settlement agreements related to subcontractor delay claims exceeding $1 million on behalf of general contractors.
- Prosecuted commercial and residential lien claims arising from payment disputes.
- Successfully arbitrated a negligence claim on behalf of a homeowner.
Memberships & Awards
- American Bar Association, member (2019-present)
- Oregon State Bar Association, member (2013-present)
- Washington State Bar Association, member (2013-present)
Resources & Ideas
Recent Developments in Fidelity and Surety Law, Co-Editor, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice (TIPS) Law Journal, Spring 2021
Aspects of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Co-Author, Surety, Spring 2021
Recent Developments in Fidelity and Surety Law, Co-Editor, TIPS Law Journal, Spring 2020
Recent Developments in Fidelity and Surety Law, Co-Author, TIPS Law Journal, Spring 2019
Construction Law, Chapter 10: The Surety Relationship and Payment and Performance Bonds, Co-Author, Oregon State Bar Association, Spring 2019
- University of WashingtonJuris Doctor degree (2012)
- University of WashingtonMaster’s degree, International Studies: Middle East (2012)
- Gonzaga UniversityBachelor of Arts degrees, Economics and Political Science, Business Administration, magna cum laude (2009)
Oregon State Courts
United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Washington State Courts
United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Western District of Washington