Michael A. Herbst
Michael Herbst protects the interests of privately held businesses in complex corporate and commercial transactions. He has extensive experience in corporate formation, mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, recapitalizations and dispositions. Clients appreciate Michael’s ability to focus on the key issues, apply sound judgment and control transaction costs. He is known for a win-win approach that helps him achieve client goals in transactions.
Michael is a trusted legal advisor to clients in the food manufacturing and agricultural chemicals sectors, as well as the apparel industry. He provides knowledgeable counsel on international transactions, including the sale and distribution of goods and services across borders, joint ventures and other business combinations with foreign partners and foreign investors.
"Michael spent the better part of 2012 negotiating complex contracts for Lynden Air Cargo, where he displayed expertise in the subject matter, attention and understanding of complex details, and a gentle, yet firm handling of demanding third parties."
-Judy A. McKenzie, President, Lynden Air Cargo
"Michael advised us on the sale of our company in 2014. His experience and good judgment kept our focus on the key issues and allowed us to keep transaction costs under control. As a small business, having an attorney who we have worked with for years that we trust was very valuable. We always knew that Michael and Schwabe were looking out for our best interests and the best interests of our business. He has been very responsive and a pleasure to work with."
-Doug Turner, CEO, Mantis Technology Group, Inc.
- Negotiated purchase of a food-grade coatings manufacturer by a global agricultural chemicals conglomerate.
- Represented an international English-language assessment provider in a joint venture with an international for-profit higher education provider.
- Handled the sale of a privately held West Coast electrical contractor to a Japanese conglomerate.
- Represented a Washington apparel manufacturer in its purchase by a Japanese retail chain.
- Handled the sale of System Applications Products (SAP) solutions developer to an Oregon-based global IT solutions company.
- Counseled parties on sale of interests in a marine terminal operation including cold storage facilities.
- Advised a Washington-based construction company on a corporate split-off transaction.
- Negotiated a joint venture for commercialization of novel decay inhibition technology for fruits and vegetables.
Memberships & Awards
- Martindale Hubbell award, AV Rated
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
“Gaining Market Share with Your Top Clients,” International Alliance of Law Firms (2012)
“Market Entry into the U.S. for Aerospace and Technology Companies: Legal Issues,” UK Trade and Investment Aerospace Mission (2012)
- September 29, 2017
- Puget Sound Business Journal, June 28, 2013
- November 2, 2012
- August 24, 2012
- International Alliance of Law Firms, President and Director
- Canada-America Society of Washington, President
- Washington State Bar Association, International Practice Section, Chair
- British American Business Council of the Pacific Northwest, Executive Board, Member
- New York University School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1988)
- Princeton UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, East Asian Studies (1982)
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, Western District of Washington