Omar F. Contreras
Omar is passionate about business, the economy, and how these are impacted by state and federal regulatory structures. He seeks to partner with entrepreneurs to navigate these structures and achieve sustainable success. Prior to attending law school, Omar worked in various positions, both in the public and private sector, including as an Economic Assistant at the Bureau of Labor Statistics, founder of an insurance brokerage company, and as a congressional intern in South Florida. Omar’s breadth and depth of experience as both a legal professional and former business owner affords him an original approach to complex business and corporate legal issues.
- Collaborated with shareholder and senior associate to draft fiscal sponsorship agreement for Washington-based sustainable energy nonprofit.
- Developed detailed guidelines to private foundation’s marketing team to ensure full compliance with Treasury regulations.
- Founded company to provide cost-effective insurance services to small and mid-sized businesses within the New York metropolitan area. Maintained diverse portfolio of 650+ clients, ranging from local grocery stores to New York City developers with over $15,000,000 in annual revenue, generating over $500,000 in commissions for the firm over a 20-month period.
Memberships & Awards
- Latino Bar Association of Washington, Student Member
- University of Washington, Helen M. Geisness and UW Scholar (2014-2017)
- University of Washington, Ryan Family Endowed Scholarship (2014-2017)
- King County Bar Foundation, Breakfast with Champions Student Speaker (2015)
Resources & Ideas
- Puget Sound Business JournalSeptember 4, 2018
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "Lobbying vs. Advocacy," Washington Women’s FoundationOctober 26, 2017
- Moderator, "Social Impact Structuring and Branding for Early Stage Companies," Bend Venture ConferenceOctober 19, 2017
- Minds Matter Seattle Chapter, Mentor and Director of Fundraising (2014-Present)
- Miami Chapter of the ACLU, Board Member (2013-2014)
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Hudson County, Big Brother (2011-2013)
- University of Washington School of LawJuris Doctor (2017)
- Rutgers UniversityBachelor of Arts, Economics with minor in Political Science (2010)
Washington State Courts