Richard K. Hansen
For more than 30 years, Dick Hansen has been helping businesses, from Fortune 100 companies to small local manufacturing companies, successfully remove themselves from controversies and lawsuits through pre-filing resolution, settlement mediation, arbitration or jury trial. Dick primarily resolves matters involving consumer class action, technology, healthcare, product liability, sexual abuse and complex business torts, and has also been a mediator in injury related matters. He believes the best defense is to avoid any form of litigation in the first place, and helps clients review contractual agreements and product warnings to accomplish just that.
As Schwabe’s former Business and Product Litigation Practice Group leader, Dick has managed and overseen a wide variety of cases, tried more than 80 cases to jury verdict and resolved hundreds of others.
Through his work with manufacturing clients both small and large, Dick is deeply familiar with his clients’ products and the types of claims they often face. He understands the insurance side of these claims, the kind of expert that will be necessary and how to manage the litigation effectively and cost-efficiently.
Helping healthcare providers focus on what they do best
Dick has resolved many disputes for healthcare providers, from controversies between provider clinics, hospitals and providers, and providers and health insurers; to conflicts among hospitals themselves. In this growing and increasingly litigious area, Dick works with clients to get to the bottom of the problem and get out of a situation as quickly as possible.
- Successfully tried several product liability cases for Ford Motor Company involving serious injuries and death.
- Resolved a significant and dangerous civil rights matter for a national healthcare provider after being brought in shortly before the trial was to begin.
- Arbitrated a serious contractual dispute between a hospital and one of its physicians.
- Tried a significant case for Mercy Medical Center (MMC) where a competing hospital accused MMC of anti-competitive behavior and interference with business relations. The court ruled on behalf of Mercy without letting the jury decide, and was upheld on appeal.
- Resolved over 140 claims of sexual abuse in Alaska.
- Resolved over 500 claims of sexual abuse in the bankruptcy proceedings of the Society of Jesus, Oregon Province.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Business Torts & Anticompetitive Law Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Torts Insurance Practice Section, Product Liability Committee, Former Chair and Vice Chair
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2013-2021)
Resources & Ideas
- August 19, 2021
- Portland Business JournalJuly 16, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- In Landmark Labor Case, Jury Awards $93.6 Million in Damages to Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Client, ICTSI Oregon, Inc.November 13, 2019
- Law360November 5, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Area Seventy, North America Northwest Area (2012 - present)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mount Hood Oregon Stake, Stake President (2008 - 2012)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Japan Sapporo Mission, Mission President (2002 - 2005)
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark CollegeJuris Doctor degree (1983)
- Portland State UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Political Science, with honors (1980)
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Honing my golf game at the 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale’s Stadium Course, among many other places.