Jay Sayles is a skilled litigator who assists a variety of clients, including those in the manufacturing, distribution, and retail industry. Dedicated to pursuing his clients’ interests, he has significant experience in both state and federal courts. Jay works collaboratively with his clients to help navigate the complexities encountered during each phase of litigation.
With over 13 years of courtroom experience, Jay has litigated a wide array of cases involving environmental contamination, class action securities, construction defect, workers’ compensation, employment, natural resources, tort, contract, tax, and maritime legal issues.
Prior to joining Schwabe, Jay worked for a series of boutique law firms and as the Assistant Attorney General for the Office of the Attorney General in American Samoa.
- Analyzed technical facts and documents to build cases for trial, including complex environmental contamination and class action securities claims.
- Collaborated with team to streamline document review processes and ensure consistency, including building software tools and automation for large-scale reviews.
- Defended construction defect claims in state and federal courts.
- Litigated workers’ compensation and civil claims before administrative agencies, state courts, and administrative law judges.
- Analyzed facts and worked with experts to apply the law to complex and technical legal claims.
- Homewood Homeowners Association, Beach Parcel Committee Member (2010-present)
- Oregon State Bar, New Lawyers Division, Pro Bono Committee Member (2013-2015) and Chair (2015-2017)
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (2008)
- University of California, DavisBachelor of Arts degree, English and Philosophy (2003)
Oregon State Courts
California State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Jay enjoys getting outside with his wife and their two kids.