Stephen Sullivan brings extensive intellectual property law experience and deep technological knowledge to aid clients in building patent portfolios that support their overall business goals. He represents clients with diverse technologies, including semiconductor devices and processing, software anti-piracy, communication, speech and handwriting recognition, image and video processing, and bioinformatics, among others. Stephen has a wide variety of intellectual property experience and offers services for opinion letters, patent licenses, and strategic patent counseling.
- Created global IP strategy in alignment with a start-up’s business goals, resulting in a patent portfolio that generated millions of dollars in licensing revenue and withstood repeated invalidity challenges.
- Developed a patent portfolio for a start-up related to a wearable device that Google purchased, and another portfolio that Samsung licensed.
- Advised business executives and the boards of various clients and determined strategic areas for patenting as well as identified patentable subject matter.
- Prepared a large e-commerce client for potential litigation by generating a portfolio of non-infringement opinions.
- A named inventor on:
- Method and System for Hosting an Internet Web Site on a Digital Camera, US 6,567,122, issued May 20, 2003.
- Method and System for Automatically Configuring a Hand-Held Camera Using Wireless Communication to Improve Image Quality, US 6,970,189, issued November 29, 2005.
- Multipurpose Navigation Keys for an Electronic Imaging Device, US 7,222,307, issued May 22, 2007.
Memberships & Awards
- Patent Bar, Member
- California State Bar Association, Member
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association (SVIPLA), President (2003-2004)
- SVIPLA, Officer and Board Member (1999-2005)
Resources & Ideas
- April 19, 2021
- Law360August 14, 2019
- August 29, 2017
- August 14, 2019
- October 27, 2017
“A Proposal for Classifying Claims for Software Programs as a Statutory Machine or Manufacture,” New Matter, Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of California (1995).
- Community Services Agency of Mountain View and Los Altos, Board Member (2015-present)
- Santa Clara University School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1992)
- Ohio State UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Computer Information Science (1986)
California State Courts
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Outside The Office
- Skiing in Lake Tahoe.