Thomas M. Triplett
Tom Triplett has over 50 years of experience providing proactive advice to—and, where necessary, litigating—labor, employment and antitrust matters. These disciplines converge in the litigation of antitrust cases against organized labor.
Tom has briefed or argued four cases decided by the U.S. Supreme Court covering issues such as the constitutionality of MPPA, the amendment to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA); the scope of the hot cargo provisions of the National Labor Relations Act; the meaning of the nonprofits exemption to the Robinson-Patman Act; and the scope of the state action defense to antitrust claims.
On the workplace front, Tom has defeated class certification of wage and hour matters, defended withdrawal liability claims, mediated discrimination claims and won labor arbitration cases. He counsels clients in union organizing campaigns, handles labor negotiations, including defense of unfair labor practice charges; and manages labor disputes, including slowdowns, walkouts and strikes.
Tom provides ERISA, labor, employment and antitrust counsel in mergers and acquisitions.
In addition to civil and criminal antitrust litigation, he advises high tech standards setting and other trade associations groups about compliance issues; companies about price discrimination; and other areas arising under the Sherman and Clayton Acts.
- Represent terminals and tugboat companies in litigation before the National Labor Relations Board and the federal courts, and in negotiations of collective bargaining agreements.
- Acts as local counsel to the Republic of the Cameroon and its President in defeating civil rights claims.
- Prosecuted antitrust cases against organized labor.
- Tried and presented argument to the United States Supreme Court in Patrick v. Burget, an antitrust case that defined the scope of the state action immunity doctrine.
Memberships & Awards
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor (2016-2018)
- Super Lawyer award, Law and Politics
- Ranked for Employment Law in Oregon, Chambers USA
- Best Lawyers award
Resources & Ideas
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- Portland Business Journal, November 23, 2016
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- Stanford Law SchoolBachelor of Laws degree (1965)
- Yale UniversityBachelor of Arts degree (1962)
Oregon State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- A toast to our fiftieth anniversary.