Thomas Olson helps a range of clients, from manufacturers to towboat operators to family-owned businesses, effectively navigate issues they encounter in daily operations. His practice includes formation of business entities, ownership transition, gift and estate planning for the principals of closely held businesses, life insurance planning, probate administration, and trust administration. In particular, Tom assists business owners in finding the most efficient and impactful way to pass their ownership interests from one generation to the next.
- Commissioned Officer, United States Army
- Represented the Province of British Columbia as a special assistant attorney general in successful litigation in King County Superior Court.
- Advises a family-owned Bering Sea fisheries business on everything from vessel acquisitions to ownership transition.
- Secured a substantial infusion of capital to aid a business in economic duress.
Memberships & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law (1993-present)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell®
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Estate Planning PresentationPresbyterian Retirement Centers2017
- Preparing a Business for SaleUniversity of Washington Department of Economics2017
- University of Washington, Department of Economics, Visiting Committee Member (2000-present)
- University of Washington, Department of Ophthalmology, Community Action Board Member (2010-present)
- University of WashingtonJuris Doctor degree (1966)
- University of WashingtonBachelor of Arts degree, Economics (1961)
United States District Court for Eastern and Western Districts of Washington
Outside The Office
- Volunteering as a Designated Engineer aboard the Steamship VIRGINIA V, a National Historic Site.