Troy brings a unique perspective and skill set to his clients’ business deals. As a go-to business trial attorney for almost thirty years, he has seen the good, the bad and the ugly of a myriad of financing, energy, real estate, and other business transactions. While Troy continues to protect his clients’ interests in courtrooms and before regulatory agencies around the country, he also acts as outside general counsel helping to structure transactions that stand the tests of time and market fluctuations.
Building sound financial foundations
Troy’s considerable experience trying complex financing disputes affords him the vision necessary to anticipate and avoid potential problems that could threaten an otherwise successful transaction.
Energy industry advocate
Cost of capital and rate of return are just a couple of the challenging issues addressed in regulatory litigation. Troy’s experience presenting complex, technical issues to juries in federal and state courts around the country allows him to effectively advocate for large energy customers and utilities before regulatory agencies.
Finance and Securities
- Representing the SEC-appointed receiver in Aequitas matter, arising from the alleged fraudulent use of over $600 million dollars of investor funds.
- Served as lead trial counsel in a successful $375 million fraudulent transfer and equitable subordination action for the Yellowstone Club, proving that a global financial institution engaged in predatory lending.
- Secured summary judgment dismissal of $26 million securities claims against one of the most prominent broker-dealers in the country.
- In 2018 alone, successfully negotiated contracts for the provision of 280 MW of electricity, including the construction of associated multi-million dollar facilities.
- In a matter with extensive national media coverage, secured a permanent injunction preventing disclosure of confidential, proprietary data of a large, multi-state utility.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer against multi-million dollar trade practices claims brought by a competing foreign manufacturer in Illinois federal court.
- Successfully defended a prominent international vacation and hospitality provider against multi-million dollar copyright infringement claims brought by a photographer in Washington federal court.
- Assisted numerous clients in rebranding and securing registration of market-leading trademarks.
Memberships & Awards
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Complex Commercial Litigation Institute, Member
- Schwabe Board of Directors, Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent, Peer Review Rated
- Washington Super Lawyers, Commercial Litigation (2008-2016)
- Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Top Lawyer in Intellectual Property award
Resources & Ideas
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- October 3, 2012
- August 2, 2012
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Speaker, “Copyright in the Arts,” Kirkland Arts Center
Speaker, “Copyright and Trademarks for Authors,” Pacific Northwest Writers Association
Speaker, “Surveys in Trademark Litigation,” Defense Research Institute Intellectual Property Seminar
Speaker, “Trademarks and Copyright for General Counsel,” PwC Corporate Counsel Forum.
- King County Boys & Girls Clubs, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Bainbridge Island Little League, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Coached hundreds of children and young adults in hockey and fast-pitch softball
- Whitman CollegeBachelor of Arts degree (1986)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree (1989)
Washington State Courts
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
Oregon State Courts
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Fly-fishing, mountain biking and taking “just one more” ski run with my wife Kelly, daughter Taylor and son Jordan.