Troy Greenfield is a nationally recognized business trial attorney. With over three decades of experience, Troy strategically utilizes all dispute resolution forums to efficiently achieve his clients’ goals. In any business environment, but even more so in times of market distress, results are what matter (examples provided in the “Experience” section). While the majority of Troy’s practice is devoted to achieving his clients’ finance-related goals when litigation becomes necessary, the insight gained in the litigation arena over the course of his career guides him in the role of outside general counsel for a number of clients.
Litigation advancing business objectives
While litigation is often necessary to advance business objectives, too many attorneys lose sight of the fact that an early, informed, and honest assessment of the probable outcome will lead to the most successful resolution of almost any business dispute. Troy’s experience and careful preparation inform his early assessments and strategic recommendations. He knows that what matters is whether litigation results (from a cost-benefit perspective) meet or exceed his clients’ business objectives and expectations.
Finance, bankruptcy litigation and federal equity receiverships
- Currently acting as general counsel and lead litigation counsel for the SEC-designated and federal court-appointed Receiver in the Aequitas matter (Securities and Exchange Commission v. Aequitas Management, LLC, et al., U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, Case No. 3:16-cv-00438-JR), arising from the collapse of a Ponzi scheme involving the fraudulent use of approximately $557 million of investor funds. Troy’s efforts have already assisted defrauded investors to recover the majority of their investments. Based on current projections, those investors will ultimately recover over 80 percent of their investments with some recovering over 90 percent.
- Served as lead trial counsel in a successful $375 million fraudulent transfer and equitable subordination action for the Yellowstone Club, proving that a global financial institution engaged in predatory lending.
- Secured summary judgment dismissal of securities claims in excess of $26 million against one of the most prominent broker-dealers in the country.
- In 2018 alone, successfully negotiated contracts for the provision of 280 MW of electricity, including the construction of associated multi-million dollar facilities.
- In a matter with extensive national media coverage, secured a permanent injunction preventing disclosure of confidential, proprietary data of a large, multi-state investor-owned utility.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer against multi-million dollar trade practices claims brought by a competing foreign manufacturer in Illinois federal court.
- Successfully defended a prominent international vacation and hospitality provider against multi-million dollar copyright infringement claims brought by a photographer in Washington federal court.
- Assisted numerous clients in rebranding and securing registration of market-leading trademarks.
Memberships & Awards
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Complex Commercial Litigation Institute, Member
- Schwabe Board of Directors, Member
- IP Stars Washington (2020)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent, Peer Review Rated
- Washington Super Lawyers, Commercial Litigation (2008-2016)
- Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Top Lawyer in Intellectual Property award
Resources & Ideas
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Speaker, “Copyright in the Arts,” Kirkland Arts Center
Speaker, “Copyright and Trademarks for Authors,” Pacific Northwest Writers Association
Speaker, “Surveys in Trademark Litigation,” Defense Research Institute Intellectual Property Seminar
Speaker, “Trademarks and Copyright for General Counsel,” PwC Corporate Counsel Forum.
- King County Boys & Girls Clubs, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Bainbridge Island Little League, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Coached hundreds of children and young adults in hockey and fast-pitch softball
- Whitman CollegeBachelor of Arts degree (1986)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree (1989)
Washington State Courts
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
Oregon State Courts
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Fly-fishing, mountain biking and taking “just one more” ski run with my wife Kelly, daughter Taylor and son Jordan.