Zach Berne’s experience as a litigator includes representing clients with interests in real estate, banking, and the maritime and fishing industries. His practice focuses on insurance coverage, vessel casualties, maritime personal injury, commercial leases, and assisting property owners facing governmental taking via eminent domain.
Zach has represented clients at the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts and with maritime oil pollution claims before the National Pollution Funds Center. He began his legal career with a year-long clerkship at the High Court of American Samoa. After completing his clerkship, Zach moved to Anchorage, where he worked as a litigator for a local firm that focused on insurance and criminal defense. His practice included a broad range of cases, from dram shop claims and insurance coverage disputes to assaults and federal drug conspiracies.
Before entering the legal profession, Zach worked in construction and agriculture positions, including as an ironworker at the U.S. Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station and as a wildland firefighter for the U.S. Forest Service.
- Counsels clients in the maritime and natural resources industries regarding incident response, environmental issues, vessel casualties and injuries to mariners.
- Investigates and analyzes liability in maritime matters and insurance coverage issues.
- Prepares claims to the National Pollution Funds Center for incident response compensation for natural resources and maritime clients.
- Represents financial services clients in suits regarding breach of contract, intellectual property issues and misrepresentation of loan terms.
Memberships & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Ones to Watch, Transportation Law (2021)
- Antarctic Congressional Service Medal, United States Congress (2009)
Resources & Ideas
- August 20, 2020
- The Alaska Bar RagJune 20, 2018
- April 13, 2018
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Alaska Legal Services Corporation, Pro Bono Attorney
- The George Washington University Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (2013)
- Pomona CollegeBachelor of Arts, Politics (2006)
Alaska State Courts
Oregon State Courts
American Samoa (inactive)