Zach Berne’s experience as a litigator includes representing clients in the maritime industry, in insurance coverage disputes and in environmental matters.
Zach began his legal career with a year-long clerkship at the High Court of American Samoa. After completing his clerkship, Zach moved to Anchorage, where he worked as a litigator for a local firm specializing in insurance and criminal defense. His practice included a broad range of cases, from dram shop claims and insurance coverage disputes to assaults and federal drug conspiracies. Since then, Zach has focused on representing clients in maritime and admiralty investigations and claims, environmental matters, and banking and securities litigation. Zach’s practice includes counseling clients on maritime incidents involving fatal accidents and significant damage to vessels.
- Counsels clients in the maritime and natural resources industries regarding incident response, environmental issues, vessel casualties and injuries to mariners.
- Investigates and analyzes liability in maritime matters and insurance coverage issues.
- Prepares claims to the National Pollution Funds Center for incident response compensation for natural resources and maritime clients.
- Represents financial services clients in suits regarding breach of contract, intellectual property issues and misrepresentation of loan terms.
Memberships & Awards
- Antarctic Congressional Service Medal, United States Congress (2009)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Red Lion Hotel on the River, 909 N Hayden Island Dr., Portland, OR 97217, April 25, 2018
- Alaska Legal Services Corporation, Pro Bono Attorney
- The George Washington University Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (2013)
- Pomona CollegeBachelor of Arts, Politics (2006)
Alaska State Courts
Oregon State Courts (inactive)
American Samoa (inactive)