How I represent clients at Schwabe
I focus my practice on maritime law, the defense of high-stakes litigation (including class action and mass tort), and product liability litigation. I represent several marine, pharmaceutical, and manufacturing companies in complicated cases. A trial attorney with more than 35 years of experience, I have the know-how to develop case-specific litigation strategies, whether it be to negotiate a settlement, arbitrate, or go to trial—all in the pursuit of the optimal outcome for each client I represent.
A force in the courtroom
I have defended clients in more than 100 jury trials through to verdict, obtaining favorable results in over 90% of them. Over the expanse of my career, I have served as lead trial counsel in several of the most complex and critical trials in the region.
Helping maritime and manufacturing clients resolve thorny disputes is the aspect of my practice that I find most intriguing. From my foundational years as a college varsity football player, I still enjoy competition, and my trial practice allows me to continue competing in defense of my clients.
- Defended a client in 2022 in an emotionally charged wrongful death trial over Zoom, which received national news coverage.
- Represented the defense in an admiralty case in which the seaman claimed he sustained a severe organic brain injury. The federal judge in Seattle ruled that the plaintiff’s problems were not the result of the incident in question.
- Represented an international corporation in the trial of a complex class action case in which the jury rendered a verdict in favor of our client.
- Successfully represented several maritime clients in trials in which brain injuries have been asserted.
- Won a defense verdict in an admiralty case filed in federal court in Tacoma, Washington.
- Achieved a defense verdict against class representatives in a lengthy class action trial involving the manufacturer of power tools.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a product liability case involving an anti-cholesterol drug where the plaintiff sought millions of dollars in actual and punitive damages. The case settled for a very favorable amount one week before trial.
- University of Oregon, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree
- Montana State University, Master of Arts degree and Bachelor of Arts degree
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute, Drug and Medical Device Section
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers list, Transportation/Maritime (2006-2023)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell® (2000-present)
CHOICES Education Group, Board of Directors
Cycling, hiking, skiing, golfing, traveling, and reading—and starting each day with a cardio/weight lifting workout.
Get in touch