The joy of being a business attorney is that as a result of every project, something is built or improved upon, business relationships are established, and business objectives are realized.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I act as lead counsel to prominent businesses in a number of industries, including real estate development and seniors housing. I’ve spent over 20 years assisting clients with their most important transactions.
Real estate development/financing
I am lead counsel for high-profile Oregon real estate development projects, including most recently, three downtown Portland high-rise office buildings (Pearl West, Broadway Tower, and Block 216/Ritz-Carlton Hotel), as well as other hotels, apartment complexes, single-family housing developments, and senior housing projects. I also manage the corporate structuring (including commercial condominium structuring), equity and debt financing, and other contractual aspects of these complex legal projects while teaming up with other colleagues in Schwabe’s real estate and construction industry group.
I have years of experience representing several of the Northwest’s leading senior housing and assisting living facility developers and operators. I frequently assist with commercial and private equity financings for facility construction or refinancing (including HUD, Freddie Mac, and Fannie Mae), single property and large portfolio mergers and acquisition (M&A) transactions, general contracting, and regulatory advising.
Equity and executive compensation/business transition
I am a leader in structuring equity and executive compensation arrangements that comply with the myriad of applicable corporate, tax and securities laws. I am well versed in the equity and quasi-equity alternatives (i.e., restricted stock, restricted stock units, LLC profits interests, stock options, SARS, phantom stock, and Employee Stock Purchase Plans), as well as deferred compensation and bonus arrangements. I also frequently represent both employers and executives in negotiating and drafting executive employment agreements.
Chambers & Partners USA, client highlights
“She is very timely and quick to respond.”
Real estate development/finance
- Currently leading legal team for development of 35-story Block 216 building in downtown Portland, which will have three commercial condominium units: office/retail; Ritz-Carlton hotel, and Ritz-Carlton residential condominiums.
- Lead counsel for development of Broadway Tower, a 19-story hotel and office building in downtown Portland and Pearl West office tower, a 9-story 155,000 RSF Class A office building in downtown Portland.
- Lead counsel for development of The Viv Hotel, a 326 key, 12-story hotel in Anaheim, California.
- Represent prominent Oregon brewery/restaurant developer and hotel owner/operator.
- Represented a technology company in $100 million sale to a public company.
- Represented the seller in a $143 million portfolio sale of seniors housing communities
- Advise both buyers and sellers in numerous individual assisted living, memory care, and independent living facility sales.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, high honors (2000)
- Duke University, Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude (1996)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- NAIOP, Member (Membership Committee Member)
- CREW, Member (Forecast Breakfast Committee Member)
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section, Executive Committee Member (CLE Committee Member)
- Ranked for Real Estate Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2023)
- DJC Oregon, Women of Vision 2019
- YMCA Columbia-Willamette, Board of Directors (past Board chair)
- Andrew Nativity School, Board of Directors
- Campaign for Equal Justice, Large Firm Committee and Advisory Board
- CYO Cross Country Running Commission, Chair
- Holy Trinity Catholic Parish, Administrative Council
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, School Advisory Council, CYO Track Coach, Head Cross Country Coach
- CYO – Camp Howard Chapel Project Steering Committee
- Sisters in Spirit, Co-founder and Co-leader
- Virginia Garcia Memorial Foundation, Board of Directors (former board member)
- Portland Business Alliance, Leadership Portland (2015-2016)
Helping kids discover the joy of running through coaching CYO track.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox