While I love being in trial, my greatest satisfaction comes from being able to help my clients avoid the stress and distraction of litigation in the first place.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I help clients comply with the ever-changing laws governing employment and defend them vigorously at trial when needed. Drawing on 30 years of trial experience, I provide legal advice that helps clients avoid litigation altogether or build strong defenses in case litigation ensues. I have been described as a lawyer who “impresses with her deep subject matter knowledge” and “thinks outside the box and is able to deal with complex matters in ways that actually work,” also known by clients for my strategic, practical advice and friendly, timely responsiveness.
Working with healthcare and technology clients is my area of focus, advising numerous medical and dental groups, including small and large single-specialty groups, individual physicians, multi-specialty groups, and hospitals. I assist with everything from contracting and litigation to enforcement of non-competes and general legal advice. My technology clients have expressed that they value my straightforward advice and my significant enforcement of their non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality/NDA agreements.
Working with Schwabe’s nationally-ranked Forest Products team, I also represent the natural resource industry. I regularly assist these companies in litigation, administrative agency complaint responses, and policy development.
I also handle wage and hour class action lawsuits as lead counsel and local counsel for various industries, including retail and banking.
Chambers & Partners USA, client highlights
“Elizabeth is a top employment lawyer and our go-to person for difficult employment matters.”
- Won a defense verdict in a cutting-edge case against a senior living company involving claims of breast-feeding discrimination. Handled a three-week trial in King County, Washington, and successfully defended the case up through the Washington Supreme Court (2013).
- Tried a multi-million dollar case against a dental group in Lane County, Oregon to a 10-1 defense verdict (2014).
- Advised a healthcare client in a manner that successfully avoided a qui tam claim threat by a C-level employee.
- Obtained a unanimous defense verdict on behalf of a solo healthcare provider in a multi-million dollar lawsuit in Clatsop County, Oregon (2015).
- Successfully enforced a non-compete against a departing physician from a single specialty group.
- Negotiated a separation agreement for a C-level executive resulting in over $1 million payout.
- Advised a financial institution on a significant and complex downsizing resulting from a merger.
- Willamette University College of Law, Juris Doctor degree, cum laude (1985)
- Pomona College, Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude (1982)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow (past member)
- U.S. News Best Lawyers in America award, Employment Law-Management, Litigation-Labor and Employment (2012-2020)
- Durfee Foundation’s American/Chinese Adventure Capital Program, recipient of a yearlong grant to explore alternative dispute resolution in the People’s Republic of China (1989)
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Oregon State Bar Association, Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Member
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Lawyer of the Year, Portland Employment Law – Management (2022)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Employment Law – Management & Litigation – Labor and Employment (2012-2022)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor (2016-2021)
- Ranked for Labor and Employment Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2018-2023)
OASCA Annual Conference: Updates in Employment Law
Ambridge Event Center – Portland, OR
August 11-12, 2016
- New Avenues for Youth, Board Chair
- University Club of Portland, Vice President
Adventure traveling, including camping across the continent of Africa and crossing the main chain of the Himalayas on foot.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox