All my life I have been curious about why and how things work. I think this natural inquisitiveness gives me an advantage in understanding all sides of any dispute.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I draw on my diverse civil litigation background to help clients resolve disputes, whether by means of negotiated agreements or contested hearings.
I serve as the chair of the firm’s Business and Product Litigation Practice Group and have taken over 90 jury trials to verdict in the state and federal courts of Oregon and Washington, and have handled hundreds of contested arbitration hearings. Using my extensive courtroom experience, I guide clients through the most efficient path to resolution, whether through early case evaluation or by obtaining a contested verdict when necessary.
I represent manufacturing and distribution clients in the drug and medical device industry, as well as the construction and consumer equipment fields. In this space, I have served as both local and national coordinating counsel. I also assist healthcare professionals such as pharmacists, doctors, and nurses when they have disagreements with their licensing bodies.
“We choose Schwabe to serve our legal needs primarily because of Jeff Eden, who’s an exceptional attorney and advisor. He is trustworthy, more than competent, and incredibly creative. We wouldn’t go anywhere else for litigation or IP support. Plus, he’s a genuinely nice person that is fun to work with.”
-American Medical Concepts
Chambers & Partners USA, client highlights
“Jeffrey Eden in particular is a highly experienced and capable trial lawyer.”
“Jeff stays calm during tough situations and is very strategic in his thinking.”
- Represented a multinational technology company in litigation with the state of Oregon over the development of software to facilitate online enrollment in health insurance exchange.
- Defended a major transportation company in the trial of a personal injury case in which the plaintiff’s lowest pretrial demand was $10 million. The jury awarded only $7,857 in total damages.
- Successfully defended and settled catastrophic injury cases for heavy equipment manufacturers and retailers, saving costs of defense and protecting against potentially large verdicts.
- Provided risk management advice for efficient discovery coordination.
- Represented numerous orthopedic implant manufacturers in collaborative defense to product liability litigation.
- Successfully defended a leading Western retailer in product liability cases involving nutritional supplements and consumer goods litigation and succeeded in persuading the manufacturer to resolve cases.
- Defended numerous manufacturing clients in consumer goods product liability cases.
- Represented manufacturers and retailers of both guns and ammunition in product defect claims.
- Successfully defended a major retailer in an MDL consumer products liability case.
- Litigation and regulatory defense of pharmaceutical retailer and pharmacists.
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark College, Juris Doctor degree, magna cum laude (1985)
- University of Oregon, Bachelor of Science degree (1982)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Product Liability Advisory Council, Inc. (PLAC), Sustaining Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, Member
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- American Society for Pharmacy Law (ASPL), Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Former Member
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- Former Vice Chair of the Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association (ABA) and Tort & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Ranked for Litigation: General Commercial in Oregon, Chambers USA (2022-2023)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV rating
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Personal Injury – Products Liability (2007-2021)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Portland’s “Lawyer of the Year” for for Product Liability Litigation (2020)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants (2007-2022)
Author, Oregon chapter in DRI’s book, Product Liability Defenses, 2007, 2013 and 2017
- Board member, Arrowhead Golf Club, 2013-present
Spending time with friends and family (including dogs and horses), as well as a bit of friendly competition on the golf course.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox