Whether my client is building a niche healthcare business or running multiple complex businesses and service lines under one roof, like today’s hospital and care delivery systems, my goal is to provide efficient legal solutions that advance business goals and help my clients focus on serving their patients, caregivers, and customers.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I offer unique real-world experience to my work in representing healthcare systems, hospitals, medical groups, and providers. Prior to joining Schwabe, I was Chief Legal Officer for a hospital system in the Greater Seattle area and served as a member of the organization’s strategic leadership group. I also provided trusted legal counsel to the organization’s governing board and CEO and served as Compliance Officer and HIPAA Privacy Officer. Because of this, I’m able to deliver not just outstanding legal service, but also a deep, hands-on understanding of my client’s day-to-day operations, strategic transactions, and regulatory matters—as well as the growing challenges they face in serving patients and communities in today’s fluid, complex, and pandemic-tested care environment.
A trusted legal advisor for over 18 years, I began my career as an intern for a respected medical malpractice defense firm. Representing a range of business clients of all stages and sizes—my experience includes advising clients on business formation, entity structures, governance, insurance coverage, regulatory compliance, and privacy and data security matters.
A U.S. Navy veteran (having proudly served as an officer in the JAG Corps, with wartime deployments to both Iraq and the Persian Gulf), I bring a proactive, practical, and strategic focus—and a genial and approachable style—to my practice.
- Advised on medical staff governance, bylaws, peer review, and credentialing.
- Assisted with resolving major disputes and litigation matters.
- Negotiated and drafted business contracts, practice management agreements, management services agreements, and strategic partnership arrangements.
- Worked with risk management and human resources teams in managing and resolving legal claims and employment matters.
- Advised board and CEO, executive leaders, and medical staff leaders on legal matters.
- Led corporate legal affairs, compliance, and privacy functions for regional healthcare delivery system including a hospital and multi-specialty medical group.
- Developed and implemented, efficient contract negotiation, drafting, and review processes, including a suite of high-quality templates for medical provider employment agreements and vendor agreements.
- Oversaw and assisted in significant transactions, including real estate acquisitions, construction projects, and financing, legal review and regulatory approvals.
- Successfully guided an organization through a significant data breach investigation and notification process.
- Drafted and implemented policies, standards, and procedures for an effective compliance and integrity program.
- Served as a key member of Ethics Committee, Internal Audit Committee, and Compliance Committee.
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (2004)
- University of Washington Business School, Master of Business Administration (2018)
- University of Notre Dame, Bachelor of Arts (2000)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- International Association of Privacy Professionals– Certified Information Privacy Professional/US credential
- American Bar Association
- American Health Law Association (2017-present)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (2017-present)
- Health Care Compliance Association (2017-present)
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys (2018-present)
A family with strong PNW roots.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox