To provide effective legal representation, it’s crucial to go beyond any single matter and work to understand a client’s business goals.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
With experience in both litigation and transactional settings and a background in computer science, I help companies and individuals in the technology sector secure valuable IP rights for their innovations. I specialize in preparing and prosecuting patent applications directed to hardware and software innovations, including embedded systems and unmanned aerial vehicles.
My broad legal background includes litigating insurance defense cases with a general practice firm, handling both patent prosecution and IP litigation with a regional IP boutique firm in Portland and negotiating technology-related contracts and advising on IP and procurement-related issues on behalf of the State of Oregon. Since 2014, I have devoted my practice to successfully securing patent and trademark protection for a variety of clients of varying sizes. My varied experience helps me recognize and anticipate issues during prosecution that could arise down the road.
Before becoming a lawyer, I worked as a network administrator and software developer for various organizations. My development work included creating front-end applications that interfaced with database systems using web and office application platforms.
A list of recently issued patents Jonathan drafted and secured:
- US 9,644,873, “Method and Apparatus for Refrigeration System Energy Signature Capture.”
- US 9,636,024, “Systems and Methods for Estimating Hemodynamic Parameters from a Physiological Curve Image.”
- US 9,609,951, “Foam Seat Cushions.”
- US 9,593,626, “Radial Engine Piston-Crankshaft Interfaces.”
- US 9,503,846, “Embedded Location Tracking Systems for Sports Equipment.”
- US 9,278,042, “Walking Rehabilitation Assistance Devices.”
- US D762,887, “Flexible Fabric Light Array.”
- Marquette University Law School, Juris Doctor degree, magna cum laude (2001)
- University of California, Riverside, Bachelor of Science degree, Computer Science (1997)
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Multnomah Bar Association, Former Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Intellectual Property Section and Technology Law Section, Member
Portland Chamber Orchestra, Board of Directors
Flying—or trying not to crash!—one of my radio controlled helicopters.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox