How I represent clients at Schwabe
With experience in both litigation and transactional settings and a background in computer science, I help companies and individuals in the technology sector secure valuable IP rights for their innovations. I specialize in preparing and prosecuting patent applications directed to hardware and software innovations, including embedded systems and unmanned aerial vehicles.
My broad legal background includes litigating insurance defense cases with a general practice firm, handling both patent prosecution and IP litigation with a regional IP boutique firm in Portland and negotiating technology-related contracts and advising on IP and procurement-related issues on behalf of the State of Oregon. Since 2014, I have devoted my practice to successfully securing patent and trademark protection for a variety of clients of varying sizes. My varied experience helps me recognize and anticipate issues during prosecution that could arise down the road.
Before becoming a lawyer, I worked as a network administrator and software developer for various organizations. My development work included creating front-end applications that interfaced with database systems using web and office application platforms.
A list of recently issued patents Jonathan drafted and secured:
- US 9,644,873, “Method and Apparatus for Refrigeration System Energy Signature Capture.”
- US 9,636,024, “Systems and Methods for Estimating Hemodynamic Parameters from a Physiological Curve Image.”
- US 9,609,951, “Foam Seat Cushions.”
- US 9,593,626, “Radial Engine Piston-Crankshaft Interfaces.”
- US 9,503,846, “Embedded Location Tracking Systems for Sports Equipment.”
- US 9,278,042, “Walking Rehabilitation Assistance Devices.”
- US D762,887, “Flexible Fabric Light Array.”
- Marquette University Law School, Juris Doctor degree, magna cum laude (2001)
- University of California, Riverside, Bachelor of Science degree, Computer Science (1997)
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Multnomah Bar Association, Former Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Intellectual Property Section and Technology Law Section, Member
Portland Chamber Orchestra, Board of Directors
Flying—or trying not to crash!—one of my radio controlled helicopters.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox