Justin Brask, Ph.D.
Every inventor needs an advocate to help turn their creation into an intellectual property asset. As a former inventor and now established patent attorney, I believe that I thoroughly understand the importance and sensitivity of this process.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I help clients navigate intellectual property challenges by providing them with a broad range of patent-related services. My 15 years of legal experience includes patent analysis, preparation, and prosecution of patent applications, patent reexaminations, and conducting product clearances.
I also provide counseling on patent strategies for U.S. and foreign jurisdictions and have worked on semiconductor processing and packaging, chemistry, applied physics, mechanical arts, electronics, green technologies, Internet technologies, and computer technologies.
Prior to attending law school, I conducted research in the Components Research division of Intel Corporation. As a researcher, I was awarded over 190 U.S. patents and published more than 20 peer-reviewed academic journal articles on topics ranging from the chemical arts to the electrical arts. I was recognized as the Intel Oregon inventor of the year in 2003, 2004, and 2005 for having the most patents filed in each of those years.
I received the 2003 Intel Achievement Award for developing the world’s first high-k/metal gate CMOS transistor with record-setting performance.
- Lewis & Clark Law School, Juris Doctor degree
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Post-Doctoral Fellow
- University of Calgary, Ph.D., Chemistry
- University of Calgary, Bachelor of Science, Chemistry and Pure Mathematics
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals (2019-2020)
- Lewis and Clark College, Kay Kitagawa and Andy Johnson-Laird IP Scholarship
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- University of Calgary, Killam Doctoral Fellowship and NSERC Doctoral Fellowship
Enjoying the surf with my son.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox